Is an odd fire dist cap different?

My son now has my 66 Buick now and a shop he sent it to did some changes and tossed out the old part and it now runs worse than before.
Is there a physical difference between the odd fire and even fire v6 caps? Points style cap.

Same offset applies to the distributor whether it is points or electronic ignition. Must have an odd fire distributor and cap for an odd fire engine.

Same offset applies to the distributor whether it is points or electronic ignition. Must have an odd fire distributor and cap for an odd fire engine.
The cap the shop put on have the contacts all evenly spaced and all the ones that he found at the parts stores was the same.

Did a little research. I was wrong on the dist. cap difference for point ign. Cap terminals appear to have the same spacing. The lobes on the dist. shaft are different lengths for and odd fire engine. Sorry for the bad info. If your problem is in the ignition system it must be something else. Firing order, timing, coil, etc.

Did a little research. I was wrong on the dist. cap difference for point ign. Cap terminals appear to have the same spacing. The lobes on the dist. shaft are different lengths for and odd fire engine. Sorry for the bad info. If your problem is in the ignition system it must be something else. Firing order, timing, coil, etc.
Thanks, it is quite confusing when trying to research this on line.

The problems occurred after the shop put hands in it. Good quantity of auto shops are parts changers with no clue how cars work and could care less? A testdrive is would be part of this type service visit. They shouldve caught that before delivery.

The Odd Fire was designed like the 300 V8 without 2 cylinders - the flat spots on the lobe are where those missing cylinder's lobes would have been. Getting the timing right would be really hard if not clocked correctly.

IMG_0375.JPG

The problems occurred after the shop put hands in it. Good quantity of auto shops are parts changers with no clue how cars work and could care less? A testdrive is would be part of this type service visit. They shouldve caught that before delivery.
My son said they had the car over a week. Kept putting it outside saying they were waiting on parts. They didn't keep any parts that were supposed to be replaced and most of those were already new parts to begin with.
Found out the low man in the shop was who worked on it, not the one that said he was going to. Sad part, the one that did is one of my wife's cousins and I know he is a hack.
I called the shop and told them we were bringing it back and they said don'n
t as they will refuse it and when I suggested filing a complaint their answer was "go ahead and sue us"!
Did file with the BBB but doubt that will get any results.
They also rebuilt the carb and it is leaking in multiple places and they stripped a bolt hole that had a helicoil so they put a stud in and drilled a hole and roll pined the stud in place. My son said fluid spprays out around the roll pin and bubbles up around the nut. Trying to figure that out.

Petronix system you have to set the gap from the trigger to the distributor lobe at installation. Since your shop did install i would check to see it is secure and properly fitted.

Last edited:
Pertronix also needs 12v, original wire to distributor has resistance that reduces the voltage.
I learned the hard way! I hooked up that and the fuel pump to that wire and it ran poorly. 1999 I needed a lesson.

Back