1967 Buick GS Stalled in Drive Through & Now Wont Crank. Ughhhhhh!!!

joshhirst13

Hey guys. Quick back story. I bought this 1967 GS400 about a year ago. It has a 455 with stage 2 cylinder heads, headers, & a 4 speed Muncie transmission. I keep having starting issues with the car & I thought I had it figured out, but I guess not. A few weeks ago I parked it in my driveway after a drive & when I went back out to drive it again it wouldn’t start or crank. The headlights would come on, wipers worked, & the battery was good, but it wouldn’t crank. I finally started moving the shifter around & it seemed like it was a little stuck. After I moved the shifter around the car fired right up. Problem solved!!!! NOPE. Fast forward to yesterday. I had been driving the car around for the past couple days with no issues. I jump in it last night to run down to grab some ice cream at the drive through & as I’m sitting in the drive through the car after sitting in neutral/idle for a few min stalls out & dies out of nowhere. I try cranking the motor & it won’t start. After about 5 cranks the car just completely dies & won’t crank over. I turn the key and the ignition light on the console comes on but that is it. I do have lights, the wipers work, I tried moving the shifter around & nothing. I’m baffled & im getting tired of my car being so unreliable. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

How about a bad ground. Clean the battery cables at both ends! If the starter relay is getting a signal, that should get it turning. Then make sure the S terminal on the relay is getting a signal with the key in start position. If it is, and no cranking, you can double check your cables, then replace the starter.

Here is a correct diagnosis chart: https://www.teambuick.com/reference/diagnosis/diagnosis_1977.php

The complete 1967 Buick Chassis Manual is in the Reference Section, HERE

well, i would take the starter in to a NAPA or other auto parts store that offers free testing before replacement, but other than that Bob's your uncle. :wavey:

How about a bad ground. Clean the battery cables at both ends! If the starter relay is getting a signal, that should get it turning. Then make sure the S terminal on the relay is getting a signal with the key in start position. If it is, and no cranking, you can double check your cables, then replace the starter.

Here is a correct diagnosis chart: https://www.teambuick.com/reference/diagnosis/diagnosis_1977.php

The complete 1967 Buick Chassis Manual is in the Reference Section, HERE

Will the diagnosis chart work with a 1966 Wildcat?

Sounds like a bad neutral safety switch to me based on the description.I would bypass that first if the battery and charging system are up to snuff.
Would you know where to find (1) information about accessing the neutral safety switch and (2) where to buy a replacement part?

Thank you!

Sounds like a bad neutral safety switch to me based on the description.I would bypass that first if the battery and charging system are up to snuff.
Do you know how to bypass the neutral safety switch?

It’s quite easy to find switches for the post-1967 models but for whatever reasons I could not find any switch for the 1965-1966 Wildcats.

Worked for me. You can bypass using power from the junction box to the connector located in that same area on the purple wiring going to the solenoid/starter (from the switch). If that does not get your starter going, then it is a starter issue.

9 times out of ten, it is dirty/corroded/loose connections at the starter or battery. Probably why it is stalling as well, especially if you are running the original externally regulated alternator.

Back