215 alum. V8 Hard to come by?

I'm thinking I'd like to put the 215 alum. V8 in my 67 Morris Minor 2dr Saloon, rather than one of my 455's which would be a lot more work. Anyone recommend a source where I might aquire said 215? I know if there's enough will & lots of money, just about any motor can be adapted to most any trans. What trans are friendly with the 215? Perhaps some one who's been there, done that, can tell me I'm headed in the wrong combo. I'd love(?) to go with a turbo'd 231 V6 if I could budget it on my Operating Engineers pension.:wavey:

Anyone recommend a source where I might aquire said 215? I know if there's enough will & lots of money, just about any motor can be adapted to most any trans. What trans are friendly with the 215?

Original Buick and Olds 215s are getting somewhat scarce, although they still turn up on ebay from time to time. The good news is that Rover started making the engine around 1967 and kept it in continuous production until about 2004. In the US, the most likely places to find one would be in Land Rovers and Range Rovers. Later versions were offered in larger displacements up to 4.6L. If you have no luck locally, D&D sells rebuildable cores "starting at $400".
http://www.aluminumv8.com/catalogpages/enginecomponents.htm

You didn't say whether you are looking for a manual or automatic transmission. Manuals are fairly easy. The factory bellhousings (except for some 61s) are drilled with the common GM bolt pattern and will accept GM T-5s up to about 92 as well as most GM 3 and 4 speeds. Aftermarket bellhousings are available from D&D and also adaptors for Ford-pattern T-5s.

Automatics are a bit more difficult. GM offered a 2 speed "Dual Path" in Specials and a 3 speed "Roto-Hydramatic" in F-85s. Neither one is particularly wonderful, but the Buick version has a lot fewer problems than the Olds. Rover automatics are much better than the two GM offerings, but all that I have seen so far were set up for a transfer case. It is possible that the 4WD version could be converted to 2WD, or maybe you can find a 2WD from one of the Rover passenger cars. AFAIK, the Rover and 61-63 GM are the only automatics which will bolt up without an adaptor

Adaptors for modern GM automatics are available frim D&D and also from Bendtsens. Bendtsens is expen$ive - currently $725. Here are the adaptor listings for D&D, but you will have to call for prices:
http://www.aluminumv8.com/catalogpages/bellhousingetc.htm

D&D specializes in MGB conversions, so it might be worth a call to see if they can furnish any help with your Minor.

Ray

Last edited:
New to the forum and I realize this is an old post.

I have 7 engines that vary from bare block to short block. I also have cranks, heads, camshafts, and miscellaneous stuff. If you are on the West Coast and interested, let me know.

Reactions: Bob
The late LandRover 3.9L, 4.0L, or 4.6L are improved versions of the 215V8, but generally same engine.

Last edited:
Back