322 nailhead into a '51 Studebaker truck

Rindy

Hi,
I am building an 'old-school' '51 Stude custom pickup I plan to drive regularly.
I have a 322 out of a '56 Century... factory 4 bbl. & factory dual exhaust. This motor originally had a dynaflow behind it but I want to run a stick. I have an old Cragar bellhousing to mate a Borg-Warner T85 3-speed trans to a 53 - 56 nailhead.
What I need is a '56 322 stick flywheel... I am pretty sure it is a one-year-only item due to the external balancing of these motors.
Please get back to me if you have any leads on a stick flywheel for a '56 322!!!
Thanks in advance,
Rindy

nccc02@reagan.com

Russ Martin shows one here: http://centervilleautorepair.com/flywheel

'56 flywheel is one year only and should be part number 1170247

It will cost some money, but a balancer can take an internal design flywheel and balance it to external, or for that matter vise versa...

I don't know, but I would not be surprised if the '56 crankshaft will have to be modified to accept an input shaft bushing for the transmission.

Throw out Bearing Adaptor Bushing
Motion industries EP2228-32 Sintered Bronze Bearing

Just had a look on ebay and saw this aftermarket 322 flywheel. The interesting thing is that it appears to have a bunch of balance holes like you would expect for an externally balanced engine which fits your description!
1971 Buick 322 flywheel

Hello.I have a54 whit Nailhead322.When i bought my 54 there was some parts ower,I think a flywheel for synkromesh.My car is Dynaflow. eccuipped. 🍻 (y)

Back