340 Engine Rebuild

Sure Shot

Pulled out the engine, tore it down, and dropped the block off at the machine shop.
I'm going to have it rebuilt back to specs, hopefully.
Does anyone know a good source for the pistons I will need for a high compression 340?

Attachments

• Engine Pulled.jpg
    Engine Pulled.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 7
In fact, they don't have much details listed

if you've got a cell phone, it doesn't cost anything to call them and ask for specs.

480-922-6807

if you don't have a cell, emails are also typically free

TAPerf@aol.com

if you've got a cell phone, it doesn't cost anything to call them and ask for specs.

480-922-6807

TAPerf@aol.com

the alternative is to talk directly to a piston manufacturer, a lot of times they'll have an old pattern on file and be able to make it. do you want stock type high comp replacement, hyper or forged?

the other alternative is that they might be able to point you at substitute piston that is similar to or just slightly larger than your stock bore which you can use in place of what you have. you might could wind up running a metric motorcycle piston with one of those ultra thin ring packs.

480-922-6807

TAPerf@aol.com

Right.
TA seems to be the best bet for what I want, which is to restore it as close to stock as I can.
There are valve marks on two of the pistons, and a nice wear ridge on the cylinder wall.
Machinist says we should get new pistons, so I was trying to put together a list of options to go over with him.
So far I have found only these options for a stock bore;
1) Sealed Power W279P
2) Silv-O-Lite 1724-STD
3) TA Performance TA_1601

I'll have to give TA a call for to ensure they have high compressions pistons beforehand, it seems. Thanks!

One other supplier which shows 340 pistons with both compression ratios is www.egge.com

Some suppliers may be able to reference the original Buick part nos. The high-compression 340 piston and pin set in standard size is 1395312. The low-compression in standard is 1395184. The parts book has oversize part numbers too if required.

Www.buickfarm.com shows to have the OEM Buick standard size part nos in stock. Don't know if they would have enough for a full set of 8 or an oversize set. A single piece could serve as a model for other vendors if nothing else works.

Modern composite head gaskets will probably be thicker than the original .020 steel gaskets. This will drop the compression ratio some from the original numbers. This will help in avoiding knock from lower-octane modern fuels. Also better for use with any block or head imperfections. Buick used a thicker .045 gasket (approx the modern thickness) occasionally. Dealers were also instructed to install them on cars with difficult engine-knock problems.

Last edited:
One other supplier which shows 340 pistons with both compression ratios is www.egge.com

Some suppliers may be able to reference the original Buick part nos. The high-compression 340 piston and pin set in standard size is 1395312. The low-compression in standard is 1395184. The parts book has oversize part numbers too if required.

Www.thebuickfarm.com shows to have the OEM Buick standard size part nos in stock. Don't know if they would have enough for a full set of 8 or an oversize set. A single piece could serve as a model for other vendors if nothing else works.

Perfect! Thanks!
Egge Piston Set

Modern composite head gaskets will probably be thicker than the original .020 steel gaskets. This will drop the compression ratio some from the original numbers. This will help in avoiding knock from lower-octane modern fuels. Also better for use with any block or head imperfections. Buick used a thicker .045 gasket (approx the modern thickness) originally to create the lower-compression export motors. Dealers were also instructed to install them on cars with difficult engine-knock problems.

Good to know. After the rebuild, a thick head gasket will give me a little leeway in octane and a bit lower compression. Thanks
I'm gonna see what the machinist thinks about just replacing the two pistons with NOS, or buying 8 NOS.
That website had 22 in stock, amazing! Thank you.

OK, talked to machine shop. He recommends going with the lower compression pistons @ .030 overbore to clean up the cylinder walls.
Looks like NOS won't work unless I have her resleeved for about a $1000 more.

I see what you mean. There was a low-compression .030 oversize OEM piston/pin, Buick no 1396735. A web search for some came up empty.

A bit of bad news from the shop.
A few cracks found in the heads, that will need to be repaired.
Glad I took her in.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_20190306_152933.jpg
    IMG_20190306_152933.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 15
Pulled the fenders off for some hardcore maintenance and prepping.
The machine shop will give me an overbore number today, likely .030 over.
I'll need a new camshaft, as well. I'll likely just let the machinist choose the camshaft,
but I was curious as to which camshaft you guys might choose, if it was up to you.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20190313_150926.jpg
    IMG_20190313_150926.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 7
Finally ready to paint the front end frame, and move my way back.

Attachments

• Front End Rust Free.jpg
    Front End Rust Free.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Front End Coated.jpg
    Front End Coated.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back