455 heads on 430 block.

Ryan474

Just got word from the machine shop that my heads are bad.. Looking around I see that the 455 heads are available and easier to find then 430 heads. If i were to go with 455 heads which ones should I look for and which ones should I avoid? Found a set with casting number 1246322 but thats seems to be the most common ones I find.. is this because nobody wants theses?
Any help would be great!

The 1246322 are 75-76 455 heads. Pass on those, they are open chamber heads with bigger combustion chambers. They are lower compression heads. The 70-74 heads are pretty comparable, they are closed chamber, and would be a better choice.

BlockHeadCasting.jpg

Not sure what your budget is, but head flow is where the most power potential is. If you have the money, or are willing to save and wait, aluminum heads are highly recommended. They are VASTLY superior to iron heads. Out of the box, they will outflow even the best ported iron heads. You need to run more compression with them because aluminum dissipates heat much more effectively. With 10:1 compression, aluminum heads, and a mild cam, it will be hard to make less than 500 HP.

TA Performance makes Stage 1 SE heads. With entry level porting, they flow over 300 CFM on the intake side.

Edelbrock heads are decent and a lower cost alternative,

The TA heads are better.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.. if i was to go with the Edelbrock heads would my stock intake and valve covers work? I would love to get the T/A but may need to wait to spend that kinda money.

Yes, everything will bolt up. The stock rockers won't work though. You'll need to buy Chevy rocker arms, plain or roller rocker arms. They are cheap enough. An aluminum intake would be better, but the stock iron will work.

Back