Any chance there may be headers available for a '55 Century?

truckmen

Hi all,

I am buying (back) a '55 Century 2-dr hardtop with a 322 and automatic transmission and would like to know if anyone makes a set of headers for that particular model combination. If so, who could I contact for pricing?

Just thought I'd ask not knowing much more about the car at the moment. Work has me away from the car.

truckman,

When I installed a '59/401 in my '55 Buick I brought headers for a '65 BuickGS. Now I don't know how this will work out with the rounder exhaust ports on your heads, BUT as I remember they will seal to the heads with the PROPER type of gasket & I would reommend using RemFlex gaskets.
Installation wasn't too hard. BUT at that point in time I had already been doing fabrication/modifications for about 10 years. As I remember, & don't hold me to this, as it was close to 50 years ago, I had to cut the pipes & add 6 or so inches to each pipe on both sides. Then again I had the larger 6 bolt top cover standard trans. So I don't know IF with the Dynaflow, since it is larger, you may be able to do the same. I guess you will find out IF you can do the same IF you plan on doing this.

Tom T.

Hi all,

I am buying (back) a '55 Century 2-dr hardtop with a 322 and automatic transmission and would like to know if anyone makes a set of headers for that particular model combination. If so, who could I contact for pricing?

Just thought I'd ask not knowing much more about the car at the moment. Work has me away from the car.
From EdK225: I ran a search and found the Flowtech headers at carparts.com
https://www.carparts.com/headers?&vehicle[year]=1954&vehicle[make]=Buick&vehicle[model]=Century&vehicle[submodel]=Base&vehicle[cylinders]=8&vehicle[liter]=5.3

re 1954 Buick Century Base 8 Cyl 5.3L, round port type,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have purchased numerous parts for my 67 225 cu in, from RockAuto, they list three brands of exhaust header gaskets. go to
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...haust+&+emission,exhaust+manifold+gasket,5400
however they don't carry the stock exhaust manifolds or headers.

Another possible source for the stock exhaust manifolds or headers.. https://www.carid.com/exhaust-manifolds.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not familiar with the 50's Buick s re engine bay clearances with various transmissions, re which is best re stock exhaust manifolds vs headers. I thus can't know if you will have the needed clearance to go with headers. I sounds as if you are looking for headers because of a clearance issue.

However IMO, IF I were only concerned with making an engine perform better, I would start with an install of an after market Holley 4bbl, carb / a performance intake manifold / along with the performance headers - which have more graceful bends to scavenge your exhaust gas pulses... and of course take up more room (than stock headers), I would go with a stock replacement of the exhaust manifolds, IF there are NO clearance issues. For normal driving, going with the stock exhaust manifold replacement will drop your overall cost vs headers, and IMO is the easier solution. Again unless there is some kind of clearance roadblock you are running into with that "automatic transmission" ???
Again re Performance end results ?? Unless you improve the air intake side to increase the fuel air volume into the engine. IMO, adding headers won't provide much in the way of a noticeable "performance improvement", because of the limitations by the intake design per the factory engineers. If you are new to this, I would do my research on line to get an idea of your options, so that when you get back you can take the Century to a trusted / reliable honest roadster or performance muscle car shop in your area that actually installs parts. Having a face to face discussion will help you assess their competence and also get their opinion. You can assess if this is a DIY project or if it's best left to a shop.
They should be able to check out the engine operation to make sure no basic repairs are first needed, as well as any contemplated changes..

Last edited:
Use the exhaust manifolds from a dual exhaust 56. Probably no performance difference vs headers --- just missing the 'testosterone effect' of the header sound.

Back