How to access/change the neutral switch on 1966 Wildcat?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28728
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28728

I need to access the neutral switch to check it and replace it if necessary. The body manual isn’t available but the chassis manual Section 90 would suggest it is located behind the steering wheel.

So I need to remove the steering wheel. The first step is to remove the actuator bar assembly — but there is no explanation. There is a mention of “screws”.

Where are they?

I tried to find a YouTube how-to video for that type of steering wheel but couldn’t find any.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

(I posted under the main thread — No crank no start — but since this topic has not been apparently previously discussed I reposted it as a separate thread for futur reference. Sorry for the repetition)

Attachments

• 87DC9A77-BFEB-44BF-AE32-7C69766C5E37.jpeg
    87DC9A77-BFEB-44BF-AE32-7C69766C5E37.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 2
It will be alongside the shifter if you have a console. It is at the bottom of the steering column (in the footwell) if you have a column shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You lost me. Sorry. I am a neophyte.

I bought the CD with the complete set of manuals but it has not yet arrived.

Go this section in the 66 CSM and scroll down to page 120-24. The switch is pictured there along with an adjustment procedure. If you have bucket front seats and a shifter in a console between those seats, the switch will be located alongside the shifter in the console not on the steering column.

1966NeutralSafetySwitch.jpg
If you have a floor shifter, the neutral safety switch can be located inside the shifter assembly instead of the steering column like pictured. Whenever you have a no crank problem, you should first check the battery, then cables and connections at the battery and starter. After that, check for 12 volts (with a meter or test light) when the key is turned to crank. Check at the small "S" terminal. The wire will be purple at the starter.
solenoidwiring.jpgsolenoidwiring.jpg

If no voltage there with the key turned to crank, then check at the neutral safety switch. If no voltage there, check at the ignition switch.

View attachment 12830
If you have a floor shifter, the neutral safety switch can be located inside the shifter assembly instead of the steering column like pictured. Whenever you have a no crank problem, you should first check the battery, then cables and connections at the battery and starter. After that, check for 12 volts (with a meter or test light) when the key is turned to crank. Check at the small "S" terminal. The wire will be purple at the starter.
View attachment 12831View attachment 12831

If no voltage there with the key turned to crank, then check at the neutral safety switch. If no voltage there, check at the ignition switch.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation — very much appreciated. I now wish I had a floor shifter. The location of the switch on the column is impossible.

I do have a very low voltage on the purple wire (I checked it with test light) with the key in. Will check that wire with the Fluke 107 multimeter — when it is delivered tomorrow — both at the junction in the engine and at the switch.

i have also been suggested to check the starter with a 12 gauge electric wire directly connected to the + of the battery. Will try that too to rule out a starter issue.

I was asked about the switches sold by RockAuto as compatible with the 1966 Wildcat. Unfortunately, this is not correct.

See below snapshot from the 1969 Buick Parts Catalog: the 1964-65 switch (fixed to the side of the column housing, roundish) and the 1966-67 switch (fixed on top of column below the housing, with connectors on each side, connection to lever on back of switch) are very different from the 1969 switches (connectors grouped on the back, connection to lever under the switch).

What is being currently sold as 1964-1966 switches are in fact post-1969 switches that are not interchangeable/compatible. As long as parts resellers believe they have the right parts, they won't pressure part manufacturers to reproduce the missing parts. I have informed CarID of the issue.

-----------------------------
1964-65 switch
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 8.35.45 AM.png

1966-67 switch
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 8.29.46 AM.png

Back