ignition warning light on Generator

Duco55

Hi All, With my 1953 263 engine I want to add an warning light for the ignition. I can only find diagrams for the later alternator version. I connected the light between ignition and the GEN post on the regulator, but that does not work. Basically the light does not go on and other systems start to get power if the ignition is off.
I made my own diagram and may have to look for other mistakes, but am I right that an extra light needs to be between ignition and Generator A post/ GEN post on regulator?
Vast bedankt,
Duco

Here is a part of my diagram. It is in Dutch. So a bit difficult. The connection is line 97.
Ignition= Onsteking,13 to light, 97 to GEN post on "stroom regulateur"
Hope it helps. And if you see something else that is strange, please let me know.part of diagram.jpg

Hi Bob,
I looked twice, but only found the charge indicator which I presume to be the Amp meter. Which I have and which works fine. But no charge light.
I have the 52 book so all the diagrams. I kept my installation 6 Volt and still have the generator. All the diagrams I found, assume a alternator when a charge or ignition warning light is used. ( which makes more sense with an alternator). I want both on the old set up.
But will have an other look.
Bedankt en fijn weekeinde
Duco

Yes, your connection points for a Charge Indicator light are right. Attached is a page from the '60 shop manual showing a charge light used with a generator (hookup agrees).

From the description of improper operation, it sounds like the light is connected to the BAT wiring around the regulator instead of the GEN wiring.

Relais (relay) D performs the function of the solenoid relay. This relay is not present?

Are you using an old-fashioned (typical for pre-1950 cars) separate pushbutton to actuate the starter?

A new 80 Amp fuse has been added in wire #4?

Attachments

• IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Todd,

Yes, I also thought I wired it wrong, but it is in the right place. I will have another look. Maybe there is something else. GEN makes sense. Maybe I leave it disconnected until all other issues are fine.

Yes, you are right. Relais (relay) D is in place. It is a more modern (Bosch 6v) version. I was not sure about the original relay and its function. So I did make another setup.

And Yes, I use are push button to start. It is connected between relais D and Earth (Start knop = starter button). So there is a separate switch for ignition (ontsteking) which supplies all other systems thru relais (relay) C.

And Yes, I added a switchable 80 Amp security fuse in line 4 between amp meter and battery (accu)/starter solenoid.

BTW I rebuild that starter solenoid, using plastic to isolate, but now I does not work. (off couse it worked ok on the bench) . So that is my Saturday afternoon job.
You probably know this as well: I was frustrated because the petrol pump ( rebuild Wallbro with a replacement bellows), did not give any petrol. I took it off twice, checked all connections. Still not working. Took it off again. made a try out set up. It worked fine! Replaced it. Still no petrol. After all this work I had a brainwave and found that I had the petrol line connected to the vent on the tank and the petrol connection to a vent pipe. How simple can it be. I am still not sure if I should laugh or cry about it.

About the Wallbro (other post) : I got my replacements in the end. The work on the 3D printing continues. The materials seem all ok ( petrole and alcohol resistent), but the design is done again with a replacement as example. This design makes it difficult to print. The results are vulnerable because moving hard and the material is not flexible enough. Still trying.

If you or somebody is interested, I can attach the whole diagram. It is in Dutch, but you will probably understand it anyway.

Hartelijk bedankt en prettig weekeinde
Duco
The Netherlands

Todd,
The text of your doc is very good. Does it maybe also explain the working of the old solenoid relay? Am I right assuming that 3 and 4 switch 1 to 2?
thanks in advance
Duco

Update and new issue.
I do not know what did it, but the warning light for the ignition lights up with the GEN connection as earth. As the Car does not run, I cannot check if it dims when the generator starts to work. But that is a later worry.
This afternoon I worked on the starter solenoid as described above. I did several things and in the end found dat it does not work when the plunger is connected to the lever of the starter. Disconnect it and it slams forward. I cannot figure out how this works. It seems to earth, but the whole solenoid is connected to earth. The front is in line with all the drawings it found. Can it be something internally? I cannot check that as it does not open. Anybody an idea or thought?
If not, I will need to buy a new one, which i do not like as the shipping and tax almost double the price.
Note: It is the 53 special version (6V)
Bedankt en blijf gezond ( thanks and stay healthy)
Duco

Back