Pull Knob for Hazard Lights 1968 Riviera

Hi!
If you check the Pic, you will see whats missing.
No its not a steering wheel without cracks, but the Pull Knob for the Hazard Lights. I assume its a pull knob, according to the manual.
The thread inside the switch seems fine, so i wonder if someone can help out with thread size, or even better with a source for the original one.
Thanks from Germany!

Best,
Heinz

Attachments

• hazardswitch.jpg
    hazardswitch.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 14
Hi!
If you check the Pic, you will see whats missing.
No its not a steering wheel without cracks, but the Pull Knob for the Hazard Lights. I assume its a pull knob, according to the manual.
The thread inside the switch seems fine, so i wonder if someone can help out with thread size, or even better with a source for the original one.
Thanks from Germany!

Best,
Heinz
The GM part no for the knob is 398165. This number was used on many GM cars from 1967-71. There are plenty of these available on the Net.

The thread size is 6-32. Owner's manual advises to push in on the knob to start flasher; pull out to stop it.

Thank you!
If the knob needs to be pushed, instead of pulled, the switch itself seems also to be not working.
Is there a Part Catalogue online, where i can check by myself?

Heinz,
Here is a link to the 1972 Buick Master Chassis and Body Parts Catalogs:

The knob for the hazard flasher is in Group 2.575. In this catalog, the chrome, single-piece 398165 knob had already been superceded by the black plastic knob no 411525. It requires a separate machine screw no 9433331. These two parts are also widely available on line and will work on the earlier '67-71 cars. 1972-78? cars were originally supplied with the plastic knob. Here is a picture of the black knob and separate screw on my '76 Oldsmobile.

I checked a paper 1968-only Buick parts catalog (printed in late '67) that shows the 398165 was originally supplied for '67-68. Online vendors somewhat confirm these knob applications, but they are frequently unfamiliar with non-Chevy models.

In your picture, I thought I could see fine scratches around the inner part of the hazard switch plunger, indicating it is in the out (off) position. On the Olds, the knob is out for off. Page 38 from the '68 Buick owner manual is shown below also.

1576919025124.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    583.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    910.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Great! Thank you. I will try the Knob only first. I go for the chrome type.
There will be a lot of fun anyway when getting the car road legal here in Germany, as the regulations say that the hazard switch must be illumintaed. Theats not an option, but surely depends on the guy doing the inspection.

Back