Transmission casting numbers

Hi everyone,
I have a 1955 Buick century with a dynoflow transmission. Casting number on the main case is 342992-8. I assume the 8 after the dash is the 8th edition. What I'm trying to find out is if this casting number is correct for a 55 Buick. date code is 2-27 which I assume is February 27th. The tail shaft is casting number 1166131-3 with a date code of 8/10. Thought that the transmission would have closer date codes.
This car does not appear to have ever been torn apart or the transmission rebuilt till now. Everything I took apart on this car looked like it would have been from the factory.
Can anyone direct me to where I can find the casting numbers in a chart? any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• transmission dissassembly 009.jpg
    transmission dissassembly 009.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 8
  • transmission dissassembly 002.jpg
    transmission dissassembly 002.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 8
Hi everyone,
I have a 1955 Buick century with a dynoflow transmission. Casting number on the main case is 342992-8. I assume the 8 after the dash is the 8th edition. What I'm trying to find out is if this casting number is correct for a 55 Buick. date code is 2-27 which I assume is February 27th. The tail shaft is casting number 1166131-3 with a date code of 8/10. Thought that the transmission would have closer date codes.
This car does not appear to have ever been torn apart or the transmission rebuilt till now. Everything I took apart on this car looked like it would have been from the factory.
Can anyone direct me to where I can find the casting numbers in a chart? any help would be appreciated.
The tailshaft casting number (less suffix) almost matches the part number of 1166137 for a '55 series 40 and 60 housing. The 1166137 was not used on any other Dynaflows.

There is a code number stamped on the main case as shown in the attached shop manual page. It should start with a Q for '55 series 40/60 Dynaflows.

Here is a dealer service bulletin on '56 Dynaflows having the P code. The digits indicate build dates for the cars having new trial bands. Maybe this will help date your '55. The '56 models were introduced in the previous November like the '55s were.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    597 KB · Views: 10
Here is another good thread:

Back