Woo-hoo, first to post in the subforum!!

Romy

Yeah, I just wanted to throw a post up here to be first to do it!

Ok, that's all...glad to see this happened! :hurray:

Hi Romy

So have you decided on an enclosure type. Considered the under the deck baffle board?

Glad to see the new changes. They make sense. Though no topick bones, "All out sound" doesn't necessarily describe ehat I was thinking.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Modern mobile electronics" encomapssing the newest, the lastest, Sound Quality, db drag racing, DVD-video, iPods, simple physics and theory for building a soundsystem.

and "Stock, restoration, nostalgia sound equipment"

Well I wasn't sure what to call it and I am quite willing to change it! Maybe we should try a little poll for the heck of it, see if anyone else would like to input...

:bana:
To do a poll, we have to start a new topic. For choices, we can use,
All Out Sound
Modern mobile electronics
Another Name

Any other suggestions?

Not to nitpick, because the mod has been more than gracious in dividing auto audio in sections, but "all-out audio" is just one part of after market sound systems. (in fact, "aftermarket audio" would be a good title.

You see, in car sound compettition, there are two categories: Sound Quality and db drag racing (which kind of sounds like "all-out audio"). They are very two different areas with different objectives, techniques and goals. Most people strive for sound quality *although there are those obnnoxious few who insist on playing one-note bass at unreseasonable levels in public* That's not even audio, much less consideration for others.

All-out db racing involves making armoured cars with no windshields, dozens of sub-basses tuned/EQ'ed to be in phase to produce the maximum decibels--period. They're mainly for events and competitions and draw big crowds. The vehicles are hardly driveable, much less listenable.

I think the main topic should be to help old Buick owners to integrate modern electronics maintaining aesthetic/cosmetic and structural integrity. I, myself am NOT any model to follow since my trunk shows off my equipment (although my interior is stealth). Other have worked on old cars, some of which don't show any modifications have been made. But we can suggest things what have worked, and haven't; so people don't repeat the mistakes during my 23 years in high-end mobile audio.

I know many here want to maintain the originality of their old Buicks. That's great. More power to you. Others of us want to put a quality system for our own enjoyment. If Buick had today's technology back then, I'm sure they would have every advancement we currently have. There's so much new: CD, DVD/Audio/Video, Multi-channel sound, GPS navigation, touch panel screens (remember the late 80's Riviera with the revolutionary TV screens?), iPods, MP3, Surius satellite radio, cellular phones, car faxes, On Star; and basic audio reproducing equipment- amplifiers, processors, electronic X-overs, more digital connections, wiring and the most important for audio--speakers--get your most bang for your buck in buying the best speakers you can afford.

There's a whole lot we all can learn and share.

I think it's good as is...people will get the idea. And db racing (I didn't realize it had a name) is cool only from the point of feeling your body shake. SQ is more important, and I really believe that most people will want a SQ setup vs a SPL setup. Plus SPL isn't nearly as hard as SQ (in my opinion, not talking about competition level though.) Couple subs, lots of wattage, and the right box, and SPL is easy. Most of my friends have that type of setup and they all would rather listen to my system than their own (which I found funny.)

Steve,
No, I haven't really decided yet. I was thinking of making it look stealth by taking out the rear window defogger, and leaving the grille to conceal it, but then I realized how useful that defogger is when it rains. :angry:

The car is kinda on hold now anyway. Finals are coming up, plus it's crappy out. Today was nice and I did a little on it, but it looks like it's going to be crappy from now on. :confused:

I did make a fiberglass enclosure for the sub in there right now a while back, which got put on hold for the more important body work, so maybe I'll finish that up. I think it'll roughly end up being about 1.1 ci, which isn't ideal for the sub, but adequite (sp?). Plus I don't want to make another one right now. :clonk:

Anything new with your Riv's? Decide on the 455 upgrades yet?

Well nothing new for the '63 or '76 Rivieras-except for some regular mantenance, changing oil, coolant. The '76 could stand a new HEI cap and rotor with spark plug wires. I was thinking of adding an external Jacobs or MSD coil and amplifier. Stock GM HEI's are notorious fro crapping out abot 4500rpm (although when am I going to rev the engine higher). Although I have experienced the benefits of a high-output ignition system on my '63.

BTW: Romy, fill us in on the rest of your stereo installation. Show us pictures, etc.

remember the first important thing is to plan the wiring. keep the signal and power wires as far apart from each other as possible. Find a good ground where all the amps, processors can be grounded. You can either put the power distribution box by the battery or in back, although you'll still need to fuse the heavy gauge wire from the battery. Planning early and placing sound deadening material can save a lot of work later when you want to up grade later.

I have had my wiring in for 22 years, with no problems. And I'm not removing it now after all the layers of mass-dampening materials on top of some of it .

I have jack in the car for sound deadening right now. There's only the original stuff that's under the carpeting. I was looking into replacing the original tar-like stuff and pretty much found out you can get stuff at home depot that will work. I need it in the trunk badly.

Anyhow, there's a 2 foot layer of snow on my car right now, so pics will be in the future. I ran a 4ga (should've done 0ga, but whatever, 4 is good enough for now) from the battery to the trunk, with an inline fuse at the battery. In retrospect, I should've put a circuit breaker in the car, to use as a kill switch. I'll do that later.

In the trunk, I cut some plywood and used it as a base for the cap, two amps, and crossover back there. There's a distribution block after the caps for the two amps. I thought it easier to run one large wire as opposed to several small ones...plus I can always add more in the back with the distrution block back there as opposed to under the hood as I've seen in some cases.

I used grounding stud things that I got from home depot to mount to the body. I think I'll relocate those to a better spot using the same mount though.

I'd like to see more pics of yours Steve...it looks like a hundred times more professional than mine (I think the carpet really sets it off!)

sound deadening

Romy,

after i thoroughly cleaned the trunk, scrapped the the light rust, I used POR-15 to stabilize the metal from rusting through (I',m lucky; the car has remained in CA since new and had very little rust except for the rust that come from the water leakage in the firt-of-its-kind flush-mounted rear window).

But for that black gunk you're talking about, I bought several gallons from Pep Boys that was claimed to provide sound deadening and rust-proofing qualities to the material to which it was applied After drying until tacky , I added three layers of carpet underpadding (using 3M General Purpose adhesive betwen layers and the wool carpet. One of of the layers on the sides of the trunk was Dynamat Xtreme which I also used partially on inside (PM me, because I found a company that makes a better material which combines the threes properties for sound absobtion--it was like a 3/4" thick and very effective.)

It was a slow, but very fun process. I was in not rush. Hopefully you have a garage you can work in (heated?).

Whatever you do, have fun at it!

You know, if you're starting a new installation, especially in a Buick, and feel so inclined, you could document and photograph it. I would be happy to have it for the web site reference (Buicks.net/shop) area. It may also start to attract more activity to this area. If you own a shop or ? I am happy to give credit, and web site links.

This goes for anyone else doing something Buick related too!

:confused:

Steve,

My cousin somehow came up with a Nakamichi 760 but it's missing its harness. Where the hell can I get parts for this thing? And is it a good one worth getting parts for? It's from September 1989, so kinda old. Worth it?

I believe that's a tape deck that was from a period when they were made in China. THey weren't the best.

Nakamichi no longer makes part like that. When I called my long-time autorized dealer, he said Nak was merely a holding company in the U.S. and didn't sell much car audio. the suff you see on the internet is sold in The Far East Europe.

One I had a Nak CD/Tuner1 I bought at a police auction. My Nak dealer said that I was extremely lucky to be alble to get harness because he happened to have a new-in-box one in his store, but that Nak didn't make 'em anymore. It cost me $250.

She (my cousin) had her car stolen a while back, and it was returned a few years ago with 2 15's in the trunk and a Pioneer head unit and some amps (one of which I got from her for free!)

Anyhow, I told her I'd put her stereo in if she ever got one and she came up with that thing. It's a CD player, but it's seriously old. I guess it came out of a Porsche. Her fiance has all the amps and other equipment that came with it, but apparently not the harness. I'm not sure what she meant by other equipment.

Is this stuff worth keeping and trying to make work, or is it ebay time?

just to update this a little:
I convinced my cousin to just get the faceplate for the Pioneer that was already in her car. She did, I rewired the thing (it was EXTREMELY ghetto) and it works nicely now.:beers:

Back