53 Special Transmission Removal

Trax 53

We need to remove the transmission (Dynaflow) from our 53 Special since it leaks a TON. We've never worked on a car with a torque tube before, and apparently we need to pull the rear axle rearward a few inches to get at the driveshaft u-joints, then remove the torque tube and trailing arms as a unit, since they are riveted and welded to the torque tube. Is this the proper procedure? Any advice would be most helpful.

If you do not have a shop manual, do yourself a BIG favor and get one. Do not take the torque tube loose from the arms or rear end. Jack the car up, block the engine and transmission, Remove the rear shock links, unhook the panhard bar at the rearend, remove the bolts holding the springs to the rearend, [ probably are LEFT HAND threads]. Unhook the parking brake cable by removing the adjusting nut at the very back. Unhook the rubber brake hose, , Now remove the bolts holding the torque tube to the torque ball/transmission. Roll the rearend back as needed. I may have missed something. But you should have the idea.

ENJOY😁

Ben

On my '55 Special I moved the rear back with my original bumper jack. I had no need to remove the brake hose as it was long enough not to stretch. I placed the bumper hook to the X on the frame & the Y end of the bumper jack up against the e-brake bracket up against the torque tube & with the original handle just jacked the rear back.
Didn't remove the shock links as they will rotate. Didn't remove the panhard rod as it had enough play WITHOUT bending. No need to unbolt the springs as they will move freely also.
I can't tell you how many times I performed this task. Never with any kind of problems.

Tom T.

Back