1952 Special Straight 8

Hey guys, glad I found you. New member. So, I pulled the Blue Iguana out for a cruise yesterday.....and noticed a new ticking/tapping sound. Paranoia kicked in and I pulled her back into the garage. Hadn't fired her up for a couple of months, seems to run fine, but the knock just isn't right. Any suggestions ? I've cruised all over this site looking for the proper forum. Where should I be looking for advice from people that have experienced this. I haven't pulled the rocker/valve cover off this beauty for over 35 years. Thought I'd check for guidance before I just started wrenching. Words of wisdom.....?

A sudden "tick", "knock", could be something like a broken valve spring, or collapsed lifter. Of course not being able to see the car is a problem. A tick could also be a cross or missfire of a plug wire. You could start right where you suggest, and pull the valve cover, start it up and see if you can determine the source of the tick by listening with a screw driver or other listening device.

Welcome. Where are you located, Blue?

If the car has been sitting, Bob probably hit the nail on the head. IF it has oil pressure. Not much else can go wrong while the engine is "dormant".

Ben

Thanks guys ! All good info. My name's Jim...(.the Buick is the Blue Iguana) from Fort Bragg, CA. and yes she's got good oil pressure. Used Bob's old school screw driver listening device trick (my Dad taught me that one) with the valve cover still in place, while waiting to hear back from my post. Also picked up on an exhaust leak while under the hood. You guys nailed it. I'll be digging deeper in a couple of days. Thanks for the input !

Thanks guys ! All good info. My name's Jim...(.the Buick is the Blue Iguana) from Fort Bragg, CA. and yes she's got good oil pressure. Used Bob's old school screw driver listening device trick (my Dad taught me that one) with the valve cover still in place, while waiting to hear back from my post. Also picked up on an exhaust leak while under the hood. You guys nailed it. I'll be digging deeper in a couple of days. Thanks for the input !
I am in your area. I have a 41 special I have gathered quite a bit of experience if you need another opinion on something

Thanks Rick. If you're the Rick (business owner) I think you are, your contact info is readily available to me. Thanks for the offer of assistance. Much appreciated. Surprised I haven't seen your '41 around town. I'll keep an eye out. The offer of assistance goes both ways.

It was due for a change. Hit the problem lifter with a cap full of ATF, over the weekend, and it quieted right down (found the scoundrel with the long screw driver listening method) and then changed the oil yesterday. Both lifter and exhaust leak quiet now. Runnin' like a champ at the moment. Ran her to and from town a couple of times yesterday and today. Thanks for the follow up.

Back