1960 Lesabre parts number

OZ40

For some reason my archaic computer won't open the reference section of this site. In a nutshell, I'm in the market for a good pair of hood hinges for a 1960 Buick LeSabre. I've checked ebay and there is a pair on there but the part number differs from the number on my hinges on my car. My numbers are RH11948 & LH11947. Are these the correct numbers or do I have the wrong hinges on my car and the correct ones are what I saw on ebay? Thanks,

Oz
PS> I posted on this section because there has been no action on the 1960 section for over a year, so I figured my chances were better here.

According to the Buick parts manual, all '60 hinges are the same. 1191980-R 1191981-L

You don't have to worry about activity in any section. Most people who answer questions don't go to all the individual sections looking for postings, they either use the latest postings on the board from the front page or simply click the "What's New?" in the navigation menu which brings up all the latest postings regardless of where they were posted.

Hey Bob

Hey Bob , thank you for the information. Do you know if there are more than one part number stamped on the hinges? Now I'm thinking maybe I have the wrong hinges on my car.....or I'm looking at the wrong number.
Oz

I don't believe that numbers stamped on parts always correlate to part numbers. I glanced around and did not see any numbers resembling the ones you posted. That does not mean that you do not have the correct hinges.

Why do you think you have the wrong hinges?

Hi Bob

Oh, the hinges I have work okay, I guess the part number vs. what's stamped on the hinges themselves just got me to wondering. My problem is my hood sits up around an 1/8th of an inch higher than my fenders. A guy noticed this at a show and inquired about it. I've had paint and body guys who, after trying to adjust my hood with no luck, say my hinges were "sprung" and I should look for a new pair. Thanks for your help.
Oz

For what it's worth, we have a '66 Riviera which had the same problem. We messed with it a lot and couldn't get it to sit down. Had a parts car changed out the hinges and had the same problem:( then one day we tried an approach which didn't seem right and, it worked the hood came down and lined up!

I can't remember exactly what we did, but maybe knowing it can be done, may not the way you think will help you.

Maybe be someone who knows what they are doing will pipe in and explain:)

I wonder

I wonder if a fender washer between the chassis and the fender would raise up the fenders to kind of meet the current hood line?

Part numbers

Another possibility for the part numbers on the hinges - the part numbers you see on the hinges could be the "manufacturer's" part numbers and not the "Buick" part numbers. You have to be careful with part numbers found on a part - they are not always the "Buick" part numbers. The same goes for "casting numbers" - The numbers cast into manifolds, heads, etc. are not always the same as the part number. Numbers found cast into the back side of chrome pieces are practically always the manufacturer's part number and most of the time is NOT in the same form as an OEM part number. An OEM part number of this era should be a six or seven digit numerical number with no letters. Ford uses letters in their part numbers but, not GM or Chrysler. Of course, this is a generalization and there are always exceptions to the rules. I have been studying the Big Three part numbers for decades and probably still don't understand the majority of the ins and outs of part numbers - I consider it a "black science"! BluesBrothersBuicks

Telriv & Blues buicks

Thank you both for the replies and information!:shield:
Oz

Back