1964 Buick LaSabre Funeral Service Car by Flxible Coach Company

Junkman

I am helping a friend with the identification of a 1964 Buick LaSabre Funeral Service Car. It was a specialty-built vehicle for a California funeral home, and it has us puzzled as to exactly what it started as. There is no Fisher Body data plate on the cowl and no evidence that there ever was one. The usual holes that hold the rivets for the cowl tag are not drilled. There is a number stamped into the firewall on the engine side close to the power brake booster which reads X 4459545, however, we have no idea what the "X" indicates or what the number represents. It does have a stainless steel VIN tag spot welded to the cowl hinge post and that number is 4K1086306, which I was able to decode thanks to these forums. The car is equipped with 15" wheels that have a riveted center, just like the Cadillac Commercial Chassis wheels. The car is finished in black and has a vinyl front seat that has 3 stripes of tan vinyl. I have determined that the car has a 1963 rear bumper and 1963 4 door sedan moldings running from midpoint in the rear door to the rear bumper, and 4 ports on the front fenders from a . From the preliminary examination, we are relatively certain that it started life as a 4 door sedan, and that extensive modifications were made to the body after it left the Flint assembly plant.
The car is equipped with a speed minder speedometer, Carter AFB, PS, PB, A/C, split front seat, radio, and cornering lights. Now that I have told you all that I know about the car, can anyone help to fill in some additional information about this unique vehicle?

Buick 1.jpgBuick 2.jpgBuick 3.jpgBuick 4.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s some pictures of the ‘64 Estate Wagons from the dealer brochure for comparison with your Flxible. The ‘64 Estate Wagons used the tail lights and rear end treatment from the ‘63s. The roof looks like it has been raised toward the back to accommodate the swinging rear door. The smaller Flxette series of vehicles used the unstretched wagon body and frame. The larger Premier series had longer rear doors, longer rear quarter panels and frame.

My guess is your car started out as an Estate Wagon. The back doors have 90 deg corners on the window frame. The 4-dr sedan rear door window frames have a sweeping curve on the rear corner. Also by starting with a wagon, Flxible would not have to deal with relocating the gas tank, removing the bulkhead behind the rear seat, etc.

Estate Wagon bodies that year were made by Ionia rather than Fisher Body. How far Ionia would have gone with finishing the body is up for debate. The factory would issue Dealer Service Bulletins periodically cautioning dealers to send body warranty claims to Flxible - not to the Buick factory. Attached is the ‘64 bulletin.

Here is a picture of a ‘63 like yours that was the only one built.

Here is a good article on Flxible. There is a factory photo there of one just like yours (maybe it is yours?). It has blackwall tires and a Flxible nameplate on the rear quarter panel.

Attachments

• 42A44313-1133-43E5-8037-9527F8DBB17D.jpeg
    42A44313-1133-43E5-8037-9527F8DBB17D.jpeg
    665.9 KB · Views: 7
  • E17A7C79-C7E3-4C2C-9877-16C30042801D.jpeg
    E17A7C79-C7E3-4C2C-9877-16C30042801D.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Found in the car today is the following. I believe that this might hold some additional clues to this vehicle's pedigree. Am I correct that the 4469 indicates that this started life as a 4 door LaSabre sedan? Not certain what all the other numbers indicate after the 4469 or in the other lines of the Buick Owners Warranty Book.

Warrantee Book = 1964-Buick.jpg.

Engine Production Code number KT-323. This number will be stamped on the block.

KT = 401 4bbl std compression
323 = day and shift when engine was built

VIN and build month 4K1086306Z. Without the Z suffix, this matches the VIN on the body hinge pillar. This number less suffix will be found stamped on the block and serves as the engine serial number.

Z = month built. Data is lacking here as to which month it is. Based on other month codes, it was early in the model year.

Transmission data J-268

J = transmission type, Super Turbine 400 for 401 engine with column shift. Plate on right side of transmission should show type BJ.

268 = day when transmission was built. Transmission plate should show this number

Body serial number FB 2530

FB = Fisher Body plant in Flint, MI

2530 = 2530th 4469 body built at Flint

4469 = Le Sabre 4-dr sedan

OO = Paint Code lower/upper body. Data is unknown as there was no paint code of O.

403 = Trim Code for LeSabre standard level trim in fawn cloth and vinyl.

X 4459545 part number on firewall. This number also shows up in another message thread on a ‘64 Wildcat owner asking about it.

X = data is unknown although it shows up on some engine parts occasionally.

4459545 = part number. Data is unknown, but other nearby part numbers first appeared on the ‘64 models in the Buick Parts Catalogue. Part number was likely not available for sale by itself.

Last edited:
Usually the X stamped on engine parts was experimental parts produced for experimentation. Like 2x4 aluminum intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds for the big port D heads, etc.

Tom T.

The absence of the Fisher Body data plate and the unique number on the firewall add to the enigma. The details you've shared about its features and the modifications are impressive. It's like a puzzle piece of automotive history. As for additional information, you should contact Buick enthusiasts or some vintage car historians with insights. By the way, have you thought about commemorating the car's unique history with flat headstones? Just like your dedication to uncovering this car's story, flat headstones can be a unique tribute.

Last edited:
Back