263 Valve Head height

André

Hi everyone,
here's my next question.
Can someone tell me how high the cylinder head of the 263cui straight eight original is?
I would like to have him plan a little more for higher compression.
But I don't know if and how much has already been done on the head.

Thanks in advance

André

IF they were available you good check five new heads & they would ALL be different because of factory tolerences. So that's not a definitive question. Maybe someone who's engine has never been apart can give you a clue???

Tom T.

OK thank you for the information .
I have two heads here, one has 92,52mm and the other 92,60mm. For me it was about, how much I can remove without problems in order to have a healthy mediocrity and at the same time a little bit higher compression

André

I have taken 0.100" without a problem, supposedly, you can go as much as 0.175".

Thank you for the information. 👍🏼
I've already snapped up these dimensions somewhere!
Only if you do not know exactly whether this is the original size or whether the head has already been processed 3 times, it is difficult to take away 0.175, for example.
I will read through if there is anything else in the link.
Or did you happen to write down your current height of your head somewhere?

Thanks in advance

André

Logistics would dictate that when a head is surfaced for normal maintenance, that a typical removal of no more than 0.010'' is probably all that is removed. The odds that this is done more than once in the lifetime of the typical engine is low. So I would gamble that you could take a lot off without concern. If you wish to go to the max., 0.175" or even more, then you should have it sonically tested and get the opinion of someone very familiar with pushing the limits.

I wouldn't think twice about going 0.100", click here for some x-section views

If you decide you are not comfortable with taking it all off the head, you can take a chunk off the block. You should probably be surfacing it anyway.

Roughly speaking, one will gain .50 increase in compression from .050 milling of the head for about a 4.8 HP increase.

If boring the engine is in the cards, after market high compression pistons can be used. Pricey, but effective.

Ben

thank you everyone for your support. I have now commissioned 0.150. I don't want to make a racing machine out of it 😉
it should only be a mild "tuning". edit head a little, optimize camshaft. There is also a new, lighter flywheel to convert from a Dynaflow crankshaft to a manual transmission.
Regards André

attached a pictures from my Intake for the rebuild engine.

Attachments

• 6EAA9984-BF70-4F4C-AB1F-59F8A638949D.jpeg
    6EAA9984-BF70-4F4C-AB1F-59F8A638949D.jpeg
    934.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 69020B6D-CCEE-4E2C-B8EA-3A03879E44BA.jpeg
    69020B6D-CCEE-4E2C-B8EA-3A03879E44BA.jpeg
    941.7 KB · Views: 8
Back