401 or 364?? Will parts be compatible?

dexxed25

Hi guys,

Need some help identifying the engine on my '63 riviera.

These are the numbers I have found on the engine.

The block casting number, located below the distributor is 1173201-15 (which seems to indicate an older 364 engine ('57-60).

The head casting number is 1185485 which could also indicate either a newer 364, 401 or 425 ('61-66). I suppose the head has been changed.

The production code number seems to be 3F59969 (located at the front of the block, passenger side and upside down when looking from the front of the car) and the engine serial number 4F6006845 (located at the front of the block, driver side, not inverted when looking from the front of the car).

If I am correct, this seems to indicate the engine came from a 59 le sabre( 4F6XXXXXXX) and it is a 364 (3FXXXXX).

In any case I am looking for a water pump (A/C car), timing cover and timing chain for this engine.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Your 63 should have either a 401 or a 425 but if the engine was changed anything is possible. There is a chart in the reference section that lists what parts interchange between the 364 and 401 and the 425 uses the same water pump and front cover as the 401.

The chart is under nailhead parts and shows the water pump, front cover and timing chain to be the same.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim,

I am sure the engine was changed and most probably it is a 364, appreciate the info on parts interchange.

Regards,

Thanks again guys,

I'll be measuring the intake.

Regards,

P.D. I need some help figuring out a part name in english, I am looking for both the timing cover (front of engine, pulleys attached) and the "sleeve" that sits in between the cover and the block.

Regards,

Guys,

I'll get that picture for you.

By the way the part that I am referring too, is actually attached between the timing cover and engine block, timing cover bolts go trough it and is plainly visible.

If I didn't know better I would consider it part of the engine block.

Regards,

Ok, I have found a picture of a similar (not identical) engine on the web.

Hopefully it is clear enough.

As you can see Part X receives the upper radiator hose.

Regards,

Attachments

• nailhead engine.jpg
    nailhead engine.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 23
It looks to me to be the timing case cover. The water pump is in front of that & also held on by 4 bolts that go through the water pump & timing case cover. Then there are 5 smaller bolts that hold the water pump to the timing case cover. The part on top of the timing case cover is called the water manifold. It attaches between the left & right cylinder heads & contains a cooling system by-pass nipple that's sealed with a rubber o-ring. It also holds the thermostat housing & under the housing is a thermostat & the upper radiator hose attaches to the thermostat housing. OK???

Back