'58 Limited Restoration or Resto-Mod?

I am gearing up to do a full frame off restoration of a 1958 limited that I inherited from my grandfather. I am trying to figure out how rare this car is? I guess my real question is...can I put something like a 496 big block in is like I want to, or will enthusiasts say it needs to stay stock with the 364 nailhead? I want the bb and other new parts, but I don't want to destroy it's value or history in the process.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
ce1c3d14a65b7c5db1254f3458c9c486.jpg35d47d4ec5e6d7c0f385d8054f703c98.jpg

I like the big 1958 Buicks! It is your car, and you can put in it what you like.

As for value, I think to a Buick enthusiast, it is better with a Buick engine, for power, probably a version of the 455, for nostalgia a version of the Nailhead. But if you are after maximum performance for a budget, the Chevrolet motors are hard to resist. A Buick engines cost more! It could be moving to a modern LS type motor is more acceptable than a version of the older small or big block Chevrolet, because Buick engines came to their end of production.

Just my thoughts, but like I said it's your car, build it for yourself, and enjoy it! (that's the number one rule).

'58 Limited's were the top of the range in their day.

They have a torque tube drive line, so its just a matter of dropping in a big block with auto.
Modifications will reduce value.

But it is your car (and your late grandfathers)
We like photo's

http://www.buickclub.org/

Cyrtis,

You could rebuild & install a 401/425 "Nail" in there & MANY wouldn't be any wiser. I know a few that has installed the older Big Block Chevs & ALL were not PRETTY!!!

Cyrtis,

You could rebuild & install a 401/425 "Nail" in there & MANY wouldn't be any wiser. I know a few that has installed the older Big Block Chevs & ALL were not PRETTY!!!
When you say not pretty... Do you mean they were hard to do, didn't fit the car how it should, or not finished right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

or will enthusiasts say it needs to stay stock with the 364 nailhead?

sadly, Buicks don't tend to get that much money at the auctions. on the other hand, that means that you're not going to lose that much resale value by no longer being 'factory numbers matching'.

the best of both worlds would be a basic freshen on the 364 and then crate it and put it into storage while building a 425ci Nail however suits your fancy. or drive the 364 til you get your big Nail built and then swap.

just remember that, regardless of brand, nobody makes money on a resto unless you happened to stumble across something that is both rare and in high demand. otherwise, you're just spending money to make yourself happy.

Back