Advice Sought: 1950 46D first start in nearly 30 years

Sprech

Ok, so I’m looking for some 46D/straight 8 advice.

I’m brought the car from Oklahoma where it has sat for the better part of the last 30 years without really having been run or driven. I’m looking for some advice on what I should do prior to trying to get her running, once that is accomplished I’ll work on getting her driving.

A few things in no particular order:
1) Disconnect fuel pump from the tank and to the carb
2) external fuel tank with fresh gas
3) Remove/inspect spark plugs and fill cylinders with lubricant(tbd)
4) Remove cap and check points/ignition etc.
5) Replace battery
6) check grounds
7) remove air cleaner and check for obstructions/debris
8) check to see if engine turns over manually
9) check belts and accessories for slop
10) check exhaust for obvious debris
11) check oil level

Is there anything specific to this car and/or the straight 8 that I should check/inspect prior to cranking and/or running?

Thanks!

How about priming the oil system.
How is that done? Is it just removing the distributor and spinning the oil shaft like on a 289 SBF? That’s why I was going to oil the ops of the cylinders, but if this is a relatively simple procedure, I’d definitely go that route.

Crank it with the plugs out until it shows pressure on the gauge. I have found some of those engines too stiff for that, so tow it in gear for a few blocks.

IF it's been sitting for 30+ years the best thing I would do 1st. is to fill the cylinders with a mixture of ATF & Acetone & let it sit for a week. Then try to turn it over by hand to see if there are any hard spots. ALSO remove the valve cover & spray the valve stems with the same lubricate. We are looking to not have any valves hang up in the guides & bend pushrods or do any other damage before you try to turn the engine over with the spark plugs out. Crank it over with the starter until there is oil pressure. For this procedure you could use a 12volt battery to make the engine turn over faster to build oil pressure sooner.
Just my thoughts.

Tom T.

IF it's been sitting for 30+ years the best thing I would do 1st. is to fill the cylinders with a mixture of ATF & Acetone & let it sit for a week. Then try to turn it over by hand to see if there are any hard spots. ALSO remove the valve cover & spray the valve stems with the same lubricate. We are looking to not have any valves hang up in the guides & bend pushrods or do any other damage before you try to turn the engine over with the spark plugs out. Crank it over with the starter until there is oil pressure. For this procedure you could use a 12volt battery to make the engine turn over faster to build oil pressure sooner.
Just my thoughts.

Tom T.
To do the 12v and not mess anything up. Do I need to isolate the starter and ground cable or can a 12v just be hooked up to crank?

Might want to check that antifreeze level before you let it get very warm. And keep an eye on it as it warms up for unexpected leakage of fluids, any fluids at all. Transmission too.

Come to think of it, check ALL of your fluid levels. You never know what might have ran out over a long enough time line.

Cleaning up your points seems obvious, too. A wee bit of rust in there can cause a lot of frustration.

I don't see drain and refill the oil here. Do it. The existing oil is sitting on several inches of water in the pan. Condensation over the years... If it starts the pump is going to dump all that water up on the valve train.
Then drain the coolant and refill, add water pump lube and if there is a grease fitting lube the pump.
Change the plugs and wires, add grease to the rubbing block on the points, usual stuff.
Good luck and tell us what happens!

Back