Cutting a Steel Gas Line

:waving: Hey Guys,

What is the best way to cut a steel gas line without going BOOM!

I'll try to make the story short, but I want to explain the circumstances.

My Wife's Sister who has a disability has a leak in a gas line. She took it to a mechanic who said it would cost 500 bucks and the car isn't worth money to fix. 1988 Lesabre. She can't afford much and the car is her life-line.

I checked out the car and the tank is O.k the gas line that goes to the tank to the Metal Cannisterfilter is leaking bad near the filter connection which is covered with a plastic/rubber, jacket or sheath. The leak is especially evident when stepping on the excellerator. The nuts that connect to the cannister fuel filter on both are corroded to beat the band. I dont think that the connections will be able to be broken cleanly and the leak is just under the jacket at or near the filter. I don't see any rubber. The metal line will have to be cut and spliced with a compression fitting or a rubber line.

How do you cut the metal line without causing a spark. I do have a mini tubing cutter. I don't know it I have enough room to turn it. The line is next to a return line and is close to the underbody. I suppose I could put the line down since it is junk anyway but will a tubing cutter cause a spark?

Thanking you in advance for your timely response and valued information :thumbsup:

Regards, :beers:

Tom Gallagher

Re: Gas Line

:wavey: Hey Heidigirl and Bob

Thanks for the information and vote of confidence :thumbsup:

It is most appreciated!

Regards, :beers:

Tom Gallagher

NAPA has the fuel line nut repair kits for damaged fittings at the fuel filter and repair kits for the fuel lines ( splice kits ) also other auto parts stores have these kits. HTH Guyopel. Also do this repair when fuel is low in the tank and have a plug ready to seal the line coming from the tank ..fuel will be running out and will not stop :clonk: so be safe .

Re: Fuel Line

:waving: Hey GuyOpel,

Thanks for the Tip and the Valued Information :thumbsup:

It is GREATLY Appreciated!

This Ones for YOU :beers:

Regards, :shield:

Tom Gallagher

Back