full synthetic trans fluid use in a 1963 riv dynoflow

looking for some insight here. had a trans rebuilt for a 63 riv. installed it and filled it with amsoil synthetic dexron fluid. i now have a delay engagement from reverse to 1st gear. question is it ok to use that type of fluid in that trans. fluid used because car sees little use. or is there a problem with the band or adjustment? bands were not replaced was told they were still in great shape.rebuilder won't return call on this?any help or advice is appreciated. thanks ken

I know others have used synthetic in other older trans. But not a DynaFlow.
Myself I wouldn't use it in a DynaFlow.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

Tom T.

thanks. i have a shop manual. i am trying to find out if the band adjustment can be made in the car. book says to make adjustments on the bench.

Adjust your linkage to make sure it is firmly in reverse before moving to more serious issues.
Service manual will show you how. As a test with the car on jackstands disconnect the linage at the transmission and run it through the gears at the transmission (assuming detents are in the transmission). While on jackstands check the pressures as outlined in the service manual.

i have a lift so getting car off ground not an issue. shifter linkage is on the mark. trans goes into reverse and moves smoothly with no issues.shift from reverse into low there is a delay in forward movement as if it were low on fluid which it is not. i think there could be a pressure issue due to today's synthetic fluid or a band adjustment. this problem was not there prior to the rebuild which was done because of fluid leaks as insurance due to age and miles .i am not a trans builder so my knowledge is limited on them.

And nowadays DynaFlow trans. builders probably have very little knowledge about them.
In reality they are pretty easy trans. to rebuild. The most important thing about the trans. is the torque converter. Most ALL don't follow the nec. steps as far as clearances go & the trans. turns out to be a slug.
You are having a pressure loss problem sounds like.
Bring it back to the rebuilder & have him form the basic pressure tests.

Tom T.

thank you. Car shifts and runs out with no issues plenty of power. the low to reverse delay is the only issue. rebuilder refuses to call me back or answer his message's. since he came to me and picked the unit up and delivered it i am stuck since he worked out of his home shop and dont know where he lives it leave me in a lurch. lesson learned with all that. he told me he knew what he was doing and all about the converter and i thought he did. I can't charge my customer for this so i am wearing this for a hat and need to find a competent person get it straightened out.

Back