Glad to join the community! 1967 Le Sabre 400ci - Parts/ Engine advice

Currently starting to build the engine on this 1967, 4 Door, Buick Le Sabre. 87,000 original miles, and has been in the family since it was born. Just had it past down to me and id love to bring it back to life. It has the 400ci V8, and was in great shape until it sat for 20 years, and was overheated twice :/. Im fighting rat ****, and grease currently as I try and clean this dreadful engine. On the bright side, the car is near perfect esthetically inside and out. My goal is to restore the engine and transmission, while adding some power in the process. If anyone has recommendations on parts, where to buy them, a built engine/ tranny for sale, let me know! Id love to get a 455ci in there as I've read they will mount the same? I'm ready to get this thing rolling! Exited to be a member, and look forward to learning from this community.

better triple check that displacement. in 1967, the Le Sabre was the small block big car model and the "Le Sabre 400" came with a 340ci small block.

the fast way to tell the difference ( because Buick small block 340s and 350s and big block engines have almost the same deck height ) is by counting valve cover bolts. 4 bolt valve covers indicate an early SBB ( 215, 300, 340 ). 5 bolt valve covers, 3 bolts on the top rail and 2 bolts on the bottom mean a BBB ( 400, 430, 455 ). 6 bolt valve covers are particular to a 350 in the Buick engine families.

even if you've got a 340ci, a 455ci swap is still pretty straightforward. you need new engine mounts and a big block fan shroud. everything else should match pretty close.

So glad I joined haha thanks for the info! I checked and your 100% correct! 340ci small block and the 400 transmission. That defiantly saved some me some issues in the very near future. Thanks a ton for the replies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should be a switch pitch if original from 67. But, that was a long time ago and transmissions wear out over time (even the durable ST400). You will want to check the date and Id tag on the left side of the trans just above the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is the original transmission, it should be a 67 BU. Look on the passenger side of the trans case. There should be a tag there. The letters should be BU. Below is a picture of the tag, it's a 73 OA

Attachments

• THM400IDTag.JPG
    THM400IDTag.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 3
Back