Impressing a machine shop of the tight Buick tolerances - how?

Dear Team Buick Engine gurus,

<humor mode on>
I've received the gospel and I believe! I shall spread the word all over the earth! Tho shall not build a Buick engine to sloppy tolerances or it shall go - boom!
<humor mode off>

With all seriousness here, if I've learned anything from Team Buick, it is that Buick engines are mechanical masterpieces and do not tolerate sloppy rebuilds. I believe, I believe! The trouble is I cannot rebuild an engine myself and therefore - I need to make the machine shop staff believe that my beloved Buick engine isn't simply another Chevy with a funny color of paint.

I've got a potential lead on a 430 engine out of a 67 Buick Electra. This engine is still running, but the safe bet is that it needs a rebuild. It would be infinitely easier for me to have this work done by a machine shop nearby me. Now I could simply provide the 430 specs to the shop (which are here - right? https://www.teambuick.com/reference/400-430-455_engine_specs.php) and mutter something to the effect: "and you'd better darn well get this right!" However, I'm a mere mortal and these fellows are obviously master machinists (or at least thinks they are). They are about as likely to listen to me as a 86 year old grandmother.

Is there a useful comparison document (Chevy vs. Buick or equivalent) that shows exactly how much more careful machinists have to be with a Buick engine? Do folks in the business of rebuilding engines have any clever ways to convincing Chevy-heads that "no this engine really is different and you better damn well pay attention or else!"

Any thoughts on this puzzling topic of car rebuilding psychology would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Edouard

Last edited by a moderator:
set up

This isnt BLACK MAGIC.

Any engine builder who doesnt do the best he can do on any engine shouldnt be doing it at all. Find a shop who does a lot of competition work. They will fit your needs. Might cost a little more but well worth it.

You want to go with a list like this: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/30/249718/455 List.PDF. Most shops have a check sheet they use to select the machining procedures for your engine. It helps them and you if you know what you want. The 430 also needs the short gallery connected to the pick-up tube opend up to 5/8" and the long suction gallery connected to that and the front of the engine to opened up to 9/16" (you will need a 5/8" pick up from a 71+ 455). This is already done on the 71+ 455. The timing cover needs some modifications that you can do at home with a drill and dremmel tool: http://www.buickperformance.com/OilingMods.htm. Also remember to use the stage one spring in the oil pump.

Last edited:
Thanks to all, caper on hold til next week.

Dear Henry, Ted, and Steve (Dr. FrankenBuick,) :shield:

Thanks to everyone for replying to off-the-wall question!

This was the sort of thing I was hoping to find. The oil system modifications are also covered in the How to build Max-Performance Buick Engines book. I'm going to try to consolidate all the required checks and modifications into a concise checklist so that the machinists have a clear set of tasks to perform.

This engine acquisition caper is on hold because the fellow who would have to arrange for receiving the engine is out sick. So I'll have busy myself with something else and stop bugging you'all for the weekend!

Thanks again and have a great weekend!! :rod:

Cheers, Edouard

If you go in a machine shop, and tell them the tolerances you want, you could get a couple of responses. If they think YOU are crazy, go somewhere else. they may say they know, they are familiar with Buicks. Or they may think your are crazy, but believe you when you discuss the details.

In any case, you should get the specs when they finish the build, and guarantee their work. Make sure they understand you don't intend to pay for it if the specs are not correct.

I have an old friend that owns a reputable shop. He builds a bunch of motors, but wasn't familiar with the old buicks. He wanted me to print the information, we discussed it, he understood it, and cut my crank to the specs I requested. All is good.

Good luck, I hope you find the right place that will take care of you.

Thanks Bob, I'll have more questions when I get there!

Hi Bob and Team Buick members, :shield:

The oil system modifications are also covered in

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16563

Thanks Bob for the reference and for (better still) pointing me to the appropriate existing thread - instead of reinventing the wheel. :thumbsup: I've added it to my list of important references. The first Jim Weise web-page is alas no more, but presumably it is superseded by your later posted reference: http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=214613.

Since I haven't even bought the 430 engine yet, I hadn't started prepare my rebuilding specs for things like this. However, I had hoped that I could ask the folks on Team Buick on what are the components I must insist upon for any rebuild and how to prioritize the work given that I'm looking for a "slow and steady" hard-working wagon engine rather than a racer.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me in resurrecting my 65 "Billy goat" wagon! :car:

Cheers, Edouard

Back