Mounting speakers in front door panels

divecop

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone out there knows what the depth is between the front door window glass (rolled down) and the surface (outside) of the interior door panel down low where a speaker would mount in the metal cutout area? I ask because my car is currently not here and I'm trying to research some stereo speakers to fit in the doors. Yes, I hate the idea of cutting into the door panels, but I don't really like the kick panel/speaker combos that are available. I'm open to any other ideas you may have. The car is a 1970, Buick GS 455 coupe. Thanks in advance!

We did the kick panels on ours. If you put them in the doors, you have to cut the metal of the door also.

Not sure on the depth question.

My idea would be to take out the stereo altogether, remove all the exhaust components behind the headers, and happily motor around listening to the engine.
Muscle cars need fancy stereos about as bad a teenage girls need tattoo's.

Please note that while this is truly how I feel, I am mostly just giving you a hard time.

On second thought, you could just bolt your home speakers in where the backseat used to be before you installed the roll cage!

Still giving you a hard time.:thumbsup:

This is something that you are probably going to have to wait to find out until you can get to your car and pull a door panel and take a look. I have seen plenty of this style GM cars with five and a half inch round speakers put into the door panels in the past, down in the front corner. So I know it can be done. But you are going to have to know at least one variable before you can figure out the other. I really don't think the glass is going to be a problem unless you are trying to use an unusually large speaker.

I have cut too many doors/package trays for speakers... If the car was restored by someone, there may already be holes behind the door panel. Have a look before starting to cut.

In most cars, if you get low enough you are under the window so you have lots of room.

I would recommend using modern speakers in the original holes. A smaller new speaker can make a lot better sound than those originals.

The next time I run into a speaker replacement problem, I am going to take the old speaker mounting rim and tack weld a good modern 3x5 into it.

And I agree with everyone else, turn it off and invest in some nice pipes:D

Thanks BigRivy I like your attitude! I agree there's nothing better than the rumble of the exhaust. I was just looking for something to fill in for those long drives when the windows are up!

Thanks again for the input and of course, the humor!
Divecop

My idea would be to take out the stereo altogether, remove all the exhaust components behind the headers, and happily motor around listening to the engine.
Muscle cars need fancy stereos about as bad a teenage girls need tattoo's.

Please note that while this is truly how I feel, I am mostly just giving you a hard time.

On second thought, you could just bolt your home speakers in where the backseat used to be before you installed the roll cage!

Still giving you a hard time.:thumbsup:

This is something that you are probably going to have to wait to find out until you can get to your car and pull a door panel and take a look. I have seen plenty of this style GM cars with five and a half inch round speakers put into the door panels in the past, down in the front corner. So I know it can be done. But you are going to have to know at least one variable before you can figure out the other. I really don't think the glass is going to be a problem unless you are trying to use an unusually large speaker.

BIG problem with mounting speakers in the doors is SLAMMING the door...
add moisture and heat, and pretty soon, no speaker

The kick panal is my choice of where to mount front speakers - or under the seat
:shield:
64 Wildcat
64 LeSabre

BIG problem with mounting speakers in the doors is SLAMMING the door...
add moisture and heat, and pretty soon, no speaker

The kick panal is my choice of where to mount front speakers - or under the seat
:shield:
64 Wildcat
64 LeSabre

You're right. I ended up doing the kick panels with some 6.5" speakers and it makes a big difference. Still doesn't beat the exhaust note!

Back