Need help identifying a certain mysterious wire......

scenexsick

Earlier, i had some HEI conversion issues about the exact thing I am going to describe. It turned out that the ignition coil was damaged within the HEI. Now, everything is ran to spec that i know of and still have no idea what the following wire is for.......

I asked prior when sorting out the ignition part, and learned the brown/white wire connected to brown wire was the res. wire within the panel attached to the start position, yet originally i thought it was a white braided wire connected to the on position with pink. noone has been ale to inform me what that is and have truly been through every part of the manual and manuals of other models. The only thing I can find is from another post stating it was the res. wire. I have an idea that it may e to the power antenna, and getting ready to find out. Anyone that could help me, please! This is driving me mad, lol!

Chaunce

Chaunce, Buick used two resistance wires in the harness. Both terminate at the Ignition Switch.

The brown with white stripe resistance wire terminates on the switch ACC terminal along with a #12 brown wire. This resistance wire is used to operate the GEN indicator lamp.

The white with orange and purple cross tracer resistance wire terminates on the IGN terminal along with a #18 pink wire. This resistance wire feeds the + terminal of the ignition coil. The braided wire covering indicates it is a resistance wire. After 50+ years of heating, the color may have changed some. Just go by the places where the wires terminate.

This information was determined by a close reading of a clear copy of the foldout Electra Wiring Circuit Diagram in the 1966 Chassis Service Manual.

Last edited:
Thank you so so much! A few other members and I have been trying to determine what this is and they came to the realization it's probably two like you state so much appreciated. I had to have a question and because I recently installed my HEI distributor I don't want to fire it up until I know if I need to eliminate both those wires or just the one considering the other operates the generator light? I know it might be a stupid question but I just want to make sure because I've hear things from this and that and they're all different. Any help would be great I appreciate it so very much

No, you don't want to make changes on the brown with white stripe resistance wire. The GEN light will not work properly if this circuit is modified. This circuit is not related to the ignition coil. (or the HEI conversion)

If you need information on the original wiring, use the 55 year old Buick Chassis Service Manual with exact data for the Electra 225. Then you don't have to compare other sources, videos, opinions to search for the answer.

Back