Quiet exhaust ????

BillK

Team Member
Hey guys,
I just finished rebuilding the engine and trans for my Wife's 84 Riviera. We had replaced the original exhaust probably 10 years ago with an AP / Maremont system and she was never happy with the way it sounded. This time I put all new Walker from front to back except for the cat. This system sounds a little better than the last but it still has a bit of a throaty sound. Not like the car was when new for sure.

So has anyone found an exhaust system that really sounds factory ? I know we are usually hot rodding stuff but in this case I want quiet. I have tried for several years to find NOS GM and would pay the price if I could but have not had any luck.

Thanks,
Bill

Sounds like a problem I am about to tackle:)

I have a beautiful mandrel FlowMaster system on my '66 Riviera, my daughter wanted the "sound". I am going to be driving it and have just purchased a complete OE style system without resonators. If it's not quiet enough I will add the resonators.

Could something adding resonators or some kind be an option for you?

Bob,
Mine already has a resonator at the back. The sound isn't that bad in my opinion but it is definitely not like the car was when it was new. Its just kind of throaty and you really notice it right around 55-60 mph in od with the converter locked up. Its my Wife's daily driver so she has to be happy :) I will give Walker a shout on Monday and see what they have to say. I asked them before buying their stuff and they assured me it would be the same sound as the oem system.

Hey guys,
I just finished rebuilding the engine and trans for my Wife's 84 Riviera. We had replaced the original exhaust probably 10 years ago with an AP / Maremont system and she was never happy with the way it sounded. This time I put all new Walker from front to back except for the cat. This system sounds a little better than the last but it still has a bit of a throaty sound. Not like the car was when new for sure.

So has anyone found an exhaust system that really sounds factory ? I know we are usually hot rodding stuff but in this case I want quiet. I have tried for several years to find NOS GM and would pay the price if I could but have not had any luck.

Thanks,
Bill
Walker makes good products. Just wanted to mention on this old post that the newer cars have a silencer in between the catalytic and muffler. If you wanted to be quiet could consider installing one in between.

I notice that one of the problems with replacement exhaust parts is they are NOT double walled as original which ends up making the system louder.
One of the things you can do to help is have the end of the tailpipes bend down to the ground rather than come straight out. This can be accomplished easily & cheaply enough with exhaust tips.

Tom T.

Back