Simple what would you do

what option would you take - Car Accepting the engine is 1 1966 :Lesabre

• Total voters
How come "go to disney world" isn't an option :)

Seriously, it depends what you're gonna do with the car. If you are just gonna drive it to cruise nights and whatnot, the 340 would be my choice. If you are looking to make a gofast-mobile out of it, the 400 would be a better starting point (but a 455 or even a 401 Nailhead would be an even better starting point).

-Bob C.

I agree with Bob C. If you're just treating it as a cruiser, nothing wrong with the stock 340 (after a rebuild, obviously). With nothing else as an option, the Pontiac 400 is an excellent choice for both a reliable driver, and a high performance engine. I had two '72 Pontiac Catalinas, one with a 400 2bbl that got me 20mpg, and lasted quite a while; and the other a 600 horsepower brute 406 that delivered 6mpg with my foot out of the secondaries (not very often!)

Personally, I'd either stick with the stock 340, or drop in a 401 or 425 Nailhead.

Either way, best of luck to you and your car!

Thanks

I am going to keep the 340. During the tear down I feared the worst when each piston needed 2 acts of congress to get out. I have a block now and will take it to the fella for tanking and magnafluxing soon.
this wat I keep bragging rights and original stuff.
Thanks for your ideas and comments. This is why forums like this are worthwhile.
BTW, I had a stubborn and stripped starter bolt. Cooking it with vice grips did not work, got one of those extractor sets for 8 bucks at sears. The kind that fits over bolt head. Cooked it again and off it went first try.

Back