Size and year Engine

Jims51

Buick straight 8 engine#62376065, I am having a tough time trying to figure out what year and what engine this is so that I can see if it is compatible with a 1951 Buick Roadmaster

That engine number is from a 263 cubic inch engine from a 1950 Super. The Roadmaster engine will be longer by about 4 inches and be a 320 Cubic inch.

Ben

Might want to check to see if the bolt pattern on the back of the block is the same. Admittedly the two engines really do look a lot alike otherwise.
Quick way to identify the larger engine is to look for the engine serial number pad by the distributor... in back of the distributor is the big engine, in front of the distributor is the little engine.

There is also a chart somewhere on this site that will help you decipher serial numbers. Might be useful to determine what vintage engine you are looking at.

I really need to learn to proof read.
*****...determine what vintage engine(s) you are looking at...*****

I was assuming that there will be continued searching, not really trying to question Ben's response.

The information from me came from the chart on this site. Another EASY way to determine large [320] versus smaller [ 248/263] is the crankcase vent intake. It is located lower rear driver side on smaller and lower front driver side on large.
OP has not been back since the day he joined.

Ben

Back