Straight Eight Bell Housing Question

I need a guru. If you are such a person, my thanks in advance, as I don't know how to look this question up.

At first blush, this seems like a possibility.

Do the larger roadmaster (straight eight) engines share the same bellhousing pattern on the back of the block with the smaller inline super and special bellhousings used up to 1953? I am trying to mix and match parts. A bellhousing from 1953 seems ideal, but I have no clue whether it would fit up to my 320. (Both are Dynaflow cars.)

I measure the upper bolt holes on the manual trans bell housing for the 263 at 3 5/16" apart, the next two down are 8 1/2" apart, and the lower ones are 10" apart. If your 320 engine's corresponding holes match, I'd be hopeful. (I'm a mixer and matcher from way back.) My 1940 shop manual shows two transmissions, though - one for Series 40 and 50, another for the big dogs. All the best with your project. In the side by side illustrations for the manual trans clutches, including the bell housings, the 40 and 50 series are shown smaller than the 60 and up series. I'm not so hopeful now.

I will do some measuring tomorrow. Thanks for the input. I would really like to do that tonight, but my shop is 38 miles or so away from my house. Thanks again... very much appreciated!

The measurements have been taken, and it appears that this is not going to work. Every dimension is farther on the larger 320 CID engine. I am very grateful just the same to Stray Tate for saving me the trouble of shipping one here just to be disappointed. This forum is truly an asset.

Thanks again!
-MGA

Back