1952 Special heater question

B

buicksarecool

The heater blower motor just went out in my 52 Special over the weekend. I checked all the fuses, wiring and fuse panel. All checked out OK. My guess is a burnt up motor. I didn't really get into that much, but I looked under and around the seat to figure out how to get the motor out. I thought you had to yank out the front seat, but it looks as if there's a shroud around the heater core that's spotwelded to the floorboard. This being the case, how do you get the motor and core out? Is it mounted from underneath the car?

i thought they were bolted under the pan. guess it has been kind of cold here in SoCal lately. never have used mine yet.

I thought the whole thing came out thruough the top once you had the hoses disconnected. I will try to have a look at one tomorrow.

Hey, thanks Johnny. Based on that site, it looks like I'm going to have to pull the front seat out. Man, what a drag that's going to be. Oh well....nothing's ever easy with 50+ year old cars. Anyone familiar with yanking the seats out?

I can answer both questions.

If its the same as my 50, the heater drops out the bottom, but you have to unbolt it from under the seat!! There's 4 bolts holding the seat down. They just unscrew from the floor inside the car(bolts are welded underneath. I had to remove the side vinyl pieces first, but that's just a couple of facia screws. Then you pull the fan guard off. Next an allen set screw holds the blade to the motor after you slide the blade off you'll see 2 nuts on the floor. These hold the motor on. check your wiring first too make sure thats not the problem. The motors are about $65.00 at NAPA.

Mark

Back