1968 GS400 Convertible - Stage 1???

AGreen316

Hi All, Just bought a '68 GS400 convertible, great original rust free condition with 55k miles on it, and everything I've checked so far is numbers-matching. Although I highly doubt that I stumbled onto one, I'd like to get information on what the 1968 Stage 1 package actually consisted of, and hoped someone out there could help. Theres a ton of info on the web for the '69 Stage 1's, I think because this was a factory-installed package, but I havent been able to locate much info on the '68 Dealer installed package. Any tell-tale signs to look for to identify a '68 Stage 1 installation?? Any help appreciated, thanks!

found plenty on this, in how far this info is correct, your guess is as good as mine...
but here is what I found:
hotter camshaft, functional ram-air,11.0:1 compression, upgraded valve springs, modified Quadrajet carb, 3.64:1 positraction axle, and a reworked TH-400 transmission that had higher shift points and firmer engagements. Stage 1 cars also had heavy-duty Rallye suspension and power disc brakes

looks to me not much is "visable" untill you start opening up the engine and axle

Back