1970 Skylark Upper control arm shafts

I am about to restore my front suspension. The front end kits come with averything including upper control arm shafts with bushings. My service manual says the upper arms are to be serviced as a unit. If I buy a kit, what is the best way to get the shafts out of my current upper control arms? Can I do it without buying any new tools? Thanks for the help as always. -Joe

Remove the upper from the car place the shaft in the vise andremove the shaft bolts. Then with a wide flat dull chisel get between the steal part of the bushtng and the upper as u pull the trigger pull the gun twards the upperso the chissel go's twards the end of the shaft.they should come right out. U can press the new ones in using the vise and som big sockets.on the first one than install the shaft.Than with a hammer drive in the seconed.Rember if the ends of the uppers are dubble shear (2 wholes) put a solid spacer between them so they dont crush when u press in the new ones.Dont tighten the shaft nuts fully untill the upper is back in the car with weight on itIm guessing u know how to remove the uppers safley.Good time to do the ball joints too. good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I used my air hammer to cut the rivets off the ball joints. I've got everything already off and on the bench. There is nothing on my frame except Eastwood Chassis Black. I don't suppose you happen to have a spare lower left control arm lying around from a 68-72 a-body? Somehow the rear bushing wore through the sleeve and cut into the arm. I can get by, but I'd rather replace it . Thanks for the help. -Joe

Back