263 with a 5 spd

shoprat

I was just looking to see what adaptors might be available for 263's. What I have found is for the 700r4.

I would have liked to have found an adaptor for a modern 5 spd. Does anyone know of one or done anything like this?

What transmission did you choose to work with?
or
What would be the 5 spd of choice?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
Too many slush boxes!

May not be the most popular subject.
What about a BorgWarner T-50?

comments...:beers:

OK, I'm learnin'...

T-5 is better, WC T-5 is still better (1990-1993)!

And how about Cobra spec in '93?

I bought an adapter from Elco that allows any Chevrolet transmission to mount to my 401. They may have the adapter your looking for but if a 700R4 will bolt up then the standard bellhousing should fit also. Off roaders use a hydraulic throwout bearing that should work for your application then just set up a master cylinder to work off the clutch linkage. You can probably use the stock flywheel.

I'm doing it right now!

Bendtsens Transmissions offers a kit to make your 263 look like the lovely rump of a small block chevy, allowing you to use your choice of any number of automatic (th350 and 400, 700R4, powerglide, etc) or manual (BW T10, T5, Muncie M21 or M22, etc) transmissions. I've opted for a Borg Warner T5 (non World Class for those keeping score at home) originally out of a Camaro. It's a really nice kit, but a bit pricey ($1000 for plates, starter, crank adapter and flywheel). They make kits for a bunch of cool old motors. The guy to deal with is Bob, he's a nice guy and knows his stuff, especially with these Buick I8's. Tell him Johnny from Evil Twin Choppers sent you.

(By the way, he's got a stash of 41-42 dual carb manifolds for anyone so inclined..)

It's at the appropriately named http://www.transmissionadapters.com/

Cheers-

Johnny

I've met bentsen personally, the guy has an ego like no tommorow. cockier then hell, but he's good at what he does. he has a whole stash of motors, I bought my 248 directly from him in ham Lake MN. I'm sorry I dont agree with that whole 5spd mentality, although there is nothing wrong with it, Id rather keep my dyanflow atleast till it dies on me. Then I'll go with a 37 buick tranny or olds 3 spd floor shift. or maybe my buddie's Cad lassalle:bgrin: .

I am eagerly awaiting the results of this swap. I am in the parts collection stage of building a 42 Dodge truck with a 263. A 5 speed is my transmission of choice right now.

fourbarrel manifold

Hey! whats up? where did all the straight 8's go? just seen a 52' 4 barrel manifold on the HAMB, discussions, website!! check it out

39cent

Back