320 combustion chamber

saltracer

Are the combustion chambers on the 320's all the same size or is any years smaller than others ? And if so what casting numbers do I look for on the smaller ones?

Thanks............

All the heads are the same. However, some time in the late 40's, into the 50's, buick moved the spark plug about 1/4" into the chamber. In order to do this they put a little boss around the plug where it sticks into the chamber, so, this head may have a few less cc's in it than the early head, but probably not much, the plug location is better tho. alleycat

It's my understanding that in the 1970's there was a fire in Buicks records area/department? and that all records prior to that date were destroyed. So, unless there is some numbers in a Hollanders or some other outside source that survived, I have no clue. The Pontiac, chevy guys have it really lucky, all that historical stuff survived and it's so good that they can tell what head (or some other part) came on what car and what time of day it was installed and who did it!!! That's likely to never happen for Buicks. I've been studying casting #'s for years and the best I can do is box in a number on a part to within a year or two. Buick changed numbers on exactly the same parts for no particular reason that I can tell. alleycat

Back