320 head cross-sections

Jyrki

Team Member
Does anyone have cross-sectional pictures of a cut-up 320 head, showing wall-thicknesses around ports ?

Excellent!!!
Are these cutaways of stock ports? There seems to be a fair amount of wall thickness to improve the exhaust port, but not that much on the intake.
Doug, do you also have a cutaway of the intake bowl? I'm wondering if there's enough meat around the seat to make a straight cut down with a larger valve?

Jyrki, Remember, you are dealing with a lot more heat on the exhaust side. As for valve size, you are limited not by the port, but by the bore of the cylinder. [Unless you want to notch the cyl. like the 409 Chevy.]
Doug

I agree with Buick Guy. Installing too large a valve could have a negative effect with shrouding among other issues.

True with shrouding. However, I'm going to overbore the cylinders to 3.622" and that's roughly the diameter of the chamber. I was thinking of going with 1.880 and 1.500 valves. Even 1.900 and 1.600 would fit, physically, but would probably have a negative effect on flow and flow speed.

My porter would be interested in the wall thickness here. He says a lot can be gained by making a smoother turn at this T

Attachments

• radius copy.jpg
    radius copy.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 8
Back