'38 Buick Special Dash

G

gal_50

Does anyone know if there is a do it yourself kit available to re-woodgrain a metal dash for this old Buik?

Hello.
The original woodgrain was painted on the dash, and the process takes a considerable amount of skill to accomplish. This should really be done by a professional. There are vinyl films available from graphic companies that have a woodgrain on them. These will need to be heated to form around the curves of your dashboard, and can be applied by a novice with a little practice. The nicest way I have seen to apply woodgrain is by using a process called photogenesis. This process floats the woodgrain on the surface of a tank of water and brings the dash up through the water picking up the woodgrain as it comes up through it. It comes out extremely nice with no bubbles or stretch marks and is clear coated to finish. The end result is a near perfect dash with a mirror finish. This is the process that several of the high dollar luxury cars use for their dash inserts. If you want a cost on this process, let me know the measurements of your dash and I will get you a quote.
Best Regards,
Ron

Back