3speed manual 1965 what v8 will bolt up?

J

Jerry rausch

Recently aquired 65 special with factory 3 on tree and v6. Can anyone tell me if a 350 buick will bolt up to this trans? Is this trans strong enough to go bigger (401)? How about a 455 will it bolt up? Lastly with a bench seat can shifter be relocated to the floor, is any floor shifter better than another? thankyou

Jerry,

The 401 used a different 3-speed with a unique bell housing (not the same as yours) with an 11” flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. The 400-455 also used an 11” flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate, and the bell housing is not the same as yours either.

I reviewed my 65 Buick Service Manual and your trans was used behind the 300 V8 and the V6 in 65. The V6 and the V8 300 share the same bolt pattern for the trans, and the service manual did not denote any difference in the bell housing between those two engines. However, the service manual did list the V6 clutch disc as 9 ¼” while the clutch disc for the V8 was listed as 10 ½”. The 300, 340, and 350 all use the same trans bolt pattern, and 10 ½” flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate combination. Any of those three engines should bolt up to your current bell housing using the 10 ½” flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate set up.

The factory shifter was called a “mystery shifter” as it was a mystery it shifted at all. Most enthusiasts agree it should be avoided if you want your trans to last. Hurst made some of the best 4-speed floor shifters, but I have not looked into their 3-speed applications. Hurst would be a good starting point for finding a good shifter. I have seen standards of that era with bench seats. Should be fine unless you have really short legs!

------------------
Steve B.
GSCA #2173 (1986)
67 GS 525 Stg IV
66 GS Convertible
65 GS HT
63 Riv

[This message has been edited by Dr. Frankenbuick (edited 03-24-2002).]

Thankyou steve for the transmission to engine info, do you know if a 350 (buick) will bolt up to my motor mounts, I have not found a kit that provides engine swap mounts for a 350 in a 65. Is that because a 350 and a 300 have the motor mounts in the same place? These are not the same blocks are they(350 vs 300)? I thought the 340 and 300 were the same but the 350 was a new design. Thankyou in advance.

Jerry,

The 300, 340 and 350 bolt in place of each other using the same frame and motor mounts. Many parts interchange between these engines. They all can share the same damper, pulleys, brackets, flexplate and flywheel. The 340 was a stroked 300 with a taller deck height. The 350 used a new block design, but shared the 340 crank.

The one thing I am not sure of is if the 225 V6 frame pads were the same as the 300s. I had a 65 with a V6, but swapped out the frame pads for the big block pads. I just can't remember if they looked like the ones in my 67 (same frame). The 67 came with a 300, but I swapped two 340s in that one before it was done. My guess is they are the same frame pads, but the evidence is all long gone.

Steve

Thankyou Steve, I just sold my 66 GS and bought this all orig 65 conv. with supposedly 71K orig miles. If it were not for the fact that it is a 6 & 3 speed and no power accessories I may not swap it but I figure a nice street rod is more valuable (not to mention a heck of alot more fun). I have been a GSCA member since about 1993 (#5219) Hopefully this car will turn out well, I plan on starting the paint and body soon then comes the engine . I appreciate your help. Jerry

Back