'55 buick won't charge

T

twinpipepapa

i have no idea! i have replaced the voltage regulator, rebuilt the generator and the starter motor, and replaced the soleniod. i noticed that when i first started it up after changing the regulator, i was reading 14v at the battery, which seems right. about ten minutes later i'm reading about 12.1v and as soon as i shut off the car, she is dead as a door nail, but has bright lights! any help would be appreciated. thanks

Explain how it can be "dead as a door nail", but have "bright lights"! If the lights are bright, there must be charge in the battery.

What exactly is the problem?

If after you shut if off, you still had about the 12.1 volts and bright lights that would indicate the electrical system is good. If the engine would not turn over, that might indicate a problem with the starting system. As the starting system draws the most power, you should check your grounds.

Your voltage regulator is probably out of adjustment. If you don't have a manual, get one. It should explain the procedure for your system. The regulator should put out about 14 volts when the car is heated up.

twinpipepapa
Start the car loosen and remove a battery cable from the battery if it stays running with the cable off it's charging. It sounds like you may have a battery cable problem.
Judd

Back