'55 v8 timing

J

johnnyknownothin

Thanks, folks, for the previous replies.

I've got another question though....

From the info. I've been able to gather so far (waiting for the shop manual to come), the timing should be set to mark number 5 on the pointer (I'm assuming looking at the pointer and pulley from the passenger side of the car) .... does this correspond to a specific degree of advance or is fiddling with the distributor until the pulley mark is lined up with the fifth mark on the pointer reliable enough?

Thanks again.

jkn

Johnny, the 5 does correspond to 5 deg. before U.D.C. (Upper Dead Center as Buick called it back then). There are marks at 0, 2-1/2, 5, and 7-1/2 on the timing chain cover. 0 and 5 are numbered. All the marks were painted with yellow paint originally.
Yes, lining up the pulley mark with the one labeled 5 will set the timing correctly. The points must be set within their gap limits before adjusting the timing. The only other caution is to slow the idle speed down to 350 RPM so that the vacuum and centrifugal advance mechanisms are not in operation.

These instructions come from the 54 Buick Shop manual which should be identical for your car. Good luck.

Back