'56 brake master

S

slipknot56

I am looking for any option to retaining the 1-year only brake master I have on my Special. The shaft is broken inside, and I'd rather put ANYTHING that gives me a bit more confidence in its braking power. Steering column seems to eliminate most options.

------------------
Moondoggie

Why not just have your master rebuilt? I recently swapped out my fragged master for a NOS unit I aqquired at a show( it was labeled for a 55 Dodge, I recognized it as a 56 buick item and managed to pretty much steal it for $45. Keeping in mind new masters are in the $200-300 range) With this master in place and with new wheel cylinders all around my '56 stops like never before. When you compare this price to that of a front disc upgrade, It is hard not to stick with the big ol factory drum set up.
Also I have a rebuildable core if yours is too damaged, let me know if I can help.

(been out of town for a week) Much obliged. The shell is good, but now that I have the engine out and am going to do pretty much a body-off resto, I may need your help with the assembly. My wheel cylinders are getting worn, too. Anywhere you recommend as the least expensive means to replace the cylinders? I suspect NOS is cheaper than relining them. Also trying to determine the least cost to rebuild the engine. I don't need pistons, but need everything else, and am probably going to call Terrill Machine in TX unless I find somewhere else with better prices for gears, springs, etc.

------------------
Moondoggie

Back