58 special, removal differential pinion seal

Tommi

Hello,

I am new in this forum. Some general informations. I am from germany and I have a buick 58 special, 4-door sedan since 7 month. I suggest to make a complete restauration with frame off. Some parts are finished, body, chassis (I will provide later some pictures). Now I have a problem with the rear axle. There was some fluid in the torque tube, I suggest to change (torque ball) pinion seal between transmission and propelar shaft and the second seal on the differential (I think the right name is pinion seal, but I am not sure).

I ordered this seal from oldbuickparts.com, after remove the old seal I saw that is looks complete different. I scanned in the internet but I found not useful information.

Can someone help me? I have added two pictures, from the removal of the "old" seal (it was damaged during removal) and the picture with old and new (from oldbuickparts) seal.

If it is not the right seal who can I found a shop to get the right seal ?

BTW:
I have also a rear axle housing seal because the old one was not more ok, that was also the reason because I removed the whole differential from the axle housing.

Thanks
Thomas

Attachments

• DSCI0086.jpg
    DSCI0086.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCI0089.jpg
    DSCI0089.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 11
Yep that seal should be good as long as the OD and ID (inside diameter) are the same as the shaft and housing.:hurray:

Put some sort of sealer on the seal where it is pressed into the housing-a silicone or locktite sealer is good.:waving:

Back