66 Skylark V8 question....

C

Curt66Skylark

Hello,
I have a 1966 Skylark 2 dr htp with factory bucket seats, floor AT console etc etc.
It is a V8 with 2 bl carb. I believed it to be a "340" but I just found out tonite that it isn't. I bought a 340 4 bl manifold for it and it is just a little bit too wide to fit.
It looks like it would fit, and externally, all bulges and notches are in the right place
and all the bolt holes look correct........but it just sits a little wide in the "saddle".
The intake gaskets line up fine with the 4 bl manifold..... but look too long (wide) at the front and rear of the block. Could this engine be a "300" instead? The old 2bl manifold I pulled off is a bit narrower. The casting number on the manifold is B1375561F 4 Can you tell me what engine this is? Everything looks completely stock under the hood, so I have no reason to believe it is a different motor out of a different car.
Also......the 2 spark plugs in the front half of the block (nearest the radiator) both face toward the center of the engine, while the sparks toward the firewall also both face in opposition toward the center of the motor. In other words these pairs of plugs are parralell to each other, but are opposite to the other two plugs on the same head. It looks like this..... \\ //
Any info would be appreciated.....I need a 4 bl manifold for this engine, whether stock or aftermarket.
Thanks for your time.
If you cannot help me......do you know a Buick person or club who might???
Could you please forward this message on to someone who could help??
Thanks,
Curt Brennan Walla Walla Washington

Curt, the engine production code number stamped on the block will tell the year, cid, and carb used on the engine. The engine serial number, also stamped on the block, will tell if the engine is the one that originally came in that car.

These numbers can be located and decoded by going to the home page on this site, clicking on Shop, then clicking on Engine Identification.

The optional engines on the Skylark for 66 were a 300-2bbl or a 340-4bbl. There was a 340-2bbl used on LeSabres and Sportwagons that year, but it was not used on the Skylark. That would tend to indicate your engine is a 300.

Back