88 lesabre ltd poor heat

T

tom little

I love the car, but up here in the frozen north,we need as much help as we can get to stay warm. I don't like to drive the car in our salty road conditions, but reality says I don't have a winter beater. The car runs great, but has never really put out great gobs of heat. I have rinsed the evaporator core with a solvent to clean accumulated dirt/dust, have replaced thermostat, and replaced the blower motor. Controls work fine, air conditioning works reasonably well, and car appears to operate at normal temperatures. Any ideas out there?

flush the cooling system, possibly your heater core is restricted, or better yet, flush the core seperately. local shops can recommend what to put through the core to clean the garbage out of it.
i've used a strong mixture of automatic dishwashing detergent, it seems to work good.

Yeah, definatly flush the entire cooling system out, im running into the same problem with my car - being a general lack of heat, even when the engine in piping hot.
As for cleaning the heater core, i would reccomend using a drain cleaner to really get the crap out of there. Find one that's safe to use on copper pipes though! I wouldn't reccomend flushing the entire cooling system out with it though, just the heater core!

Good luck!
Ben

Thanks guys for your response.
I guess that's what I'm doing this weekend, weather permitting, or maybe not.\I'll keep you posted on the results.
Thanks again!!

Back