'95 Lesabre will not start

dpgmfixer

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have a '95 Buick Lesabre. I had wanted to change the plugs but they had not been changed in at least 10 years and would not budge so I sprayed each plug with some PB Blaster and let it sit. The next day I needed to move the car and of course the engine smoked a bit while the PB Blaster burned off. I started the car once more a day later with no issue. The car sat for several days and when I went to start it is was dead. I attempted to jump start it and when I turned the ignition the dash lights went crazy and the car would not start and even sounded like it was misfiring. Does this sound like possibly needing a new battery, is the computer shot or did leaving the PB Blaster do damage? I did remove each wire before I sprayed the plug. I did one plug at a time removing the wire, spraying a bit and replacing the wire. The last repair prior to this was a couple of months ago to replace the throttle position sensor. Actually had to put two in as the first new sensor was bad.

Thanks,
Dave

Classic symptom of bad connection, especially on side terminal batteries. Remove both cable connections, crawl underneath car, loosen and retighten main cable at starter first. Clean and install battery connections and check ground cable connection at engine. That should do it unless battery took a dump.

Check battery with voltmeter. Good hot battery should show 12.5 to 12.7 fully charged. A reading of 12.0 volts will start the engine.

Last edited:
Thanks very much... I'll give that a try. Unfortunately will need to wait a day or two since I'm here in the northeast and will need to dig the car out first :)

Finally got to the car. Cables and connections were good. Turns out the battery was indeed bad. Put in a new one and I'm back up and running. Thanks again for your reply.

Back