95 Skylark Brake lights

L

LunaWolvesMan

here is the problem:
Brake lights DON'T work
Turn signals DO work
rear window brake light DOES work
Hazard lights DON'T work

I've checked the bulbs and the fuses and all seem to be OK anyone have any suggestions before I take the car in for diagnosis?

Thnx Much

get a circuit continuity tester and check for power at all the light sockets. if there's power at the wire, then perhaps the socket is damaged and the bulb isn't connecting properly. You should also find a wiring diagram for you vehicle and find the ground wire for the ext. lighting system. if the ground wire has a bad connection, or is otherwise corroded the lights won't work.

if you're not getting power through the wires at the sockets with your circuit tester grounded to an unpainted, bare metal part of the body, then there must be a break in the wiring from the front of the car to the sockets.

I apologize for not mentioning this but I know the bulbs are getting power as they are Dual bulbs, the blinkers also go throught the same bulb, however the blinkers work and the brake lights dont. I am thinking this may be the control switch which I understand is in the steering colum. Does this seem like the probable answer or should I check something else first?

Sounds to me like the brake on/off switch. It is under the dash and should be touching the brake pedal. Sometimes the button which touches the pedal gets stuck and the lights will either not come on at all or will stay on all the time.

Luna,
I think you are going to have to find a wiring diagram. If the rear window brake light comes on, that means the brake light switch on the pedal is "probably" good, unless it is a 2 part switch (one for the regular lights and one for the rear window) If the turn signals flashers are working, then all of the wiring and the sockets/bulbs should be ok. I am betting there is a "brake light controller" module, or might even be part of the Body Control Module if your car has one, that has failed.
Hope this helps,

Back