alternative engine

iddie makel

hello again,
As I proceed with the teardown of my 264 cu.in.engine with manual transmission,I am wondering if any of you guys know if I have to stick with the original engine,or is there another engine that would bolt right up to my bellhousing?As always ,thanks in advance for any and all responses.The Buick is a '55 special.
iddie

Iddie

Use a 56 4 barrel motor. Highest compression, biggest valves, biggest CU" that will bolt right in.

Hey Judd,
Thanks again.When I begin my search,since I have the manual transmission,is there anything I need to be esppecially aware of?
iddie

Iddie

My 56 product service bulletins book shows 56 motors as replacement on 53 to 55 cars as the older motors were discontinued. They say replace the 56 water pump, water manifold, timming cover, right and left exhaust manifolds with parts from 55 car. You will need a pilot shaft bushing for standard shift car. I can't find the section on installing a 50/60/70 series motor in standard shift car that gives parts for that change out. I saw it once but can't find it now.
I believe the older 40 series cars had smaller trans than 56 40 series but I'm not sure if this is true or when the change took place ( may have been a strait eight thing? ).

Judd

The '55 3-speed trans & pressure plates used on the 264" are different from the ones used on the 322" that year and in '56.
When I first got my '55 Special (264" w/ 3-speed), the clutch slipped badly, although the seller assured me the clutch & pressure plate had been rebuilt. I tore it all out and found that indeed, it looked new. I took it to a clutch shop and had the faces reground, new disk, etc, etc. I installed it back in the car and.....the dang clutch slipped same as before and I was out $100 bucks or so!! I did some investigating and found a note in a '64 Buick Parts Manual that says
NOTE: When installing 1392653 as a replacement for crown spring type clutch on above models ("53-'55 series 40), it will be necessary to use (1) 0.799 / 1319083 bearing
I found it interesting that Buick made a notation about interchanging parts to upgrade the clutch.....maybe because they had a history of problems??
In any event, my reason for bringing all this up was to let you know that if you go to the larger 322" engine, you should also upgrade the tranny & clutch, as well or you'll probably have trouble. The 264" bell housing will bolt right on the 322", you'll just need the pressure plate & tranny from the 322".

Or, pop in a 401" or 425" and have a car that will perform and retains the "look"? :D :D :D
-Bob

Judd &55spcl,
Thanks for taking the time to look all of that information up.I'm getting a heck of an education here,and believe me I have not been this attentive in decades.I don't know what I'm going to do except some lengthy thinking for the time being.I hate this down time.I may end up trying to find a good 264,so that the next time I have serious engine problems,I'll be able to drop it in and keep on driving.Knowing my luck though,I'd probably find a spare engine,never need it,and it would end up rusted and frozen.
iddie

Back