Current Custodian

cbunt1

Hey all!

Just became the current custodian (not sure anyone actually "owns" these cars--we just care for them for a time) of a '67 Skylark that seems to be a good starting point for a build-up. I'm not looking to "restore," although I can appreciate the folks that do so...I prefer a "driver" personally.

This is the car that my better half (jbunt73) mentions a couple of posts down. We got brakes going on her (extensive overhaul of braking system) and are in the process of undoing some 45 years of "keep it running" repairs with a replace and bring back to spec mindset -- with a mind to upgrade and improvement.

It's looking like the next major project will be the front-end. I'm looking to do all the ball joints, bushings, and springs since, in my experience, if one part is worn out, it's a safe bet the complementary parts are also trash...and if they're not, the installation of a new "tight" part will quickly finish the marginal part off.

I'm thinking I may go ahead and upgrade to disc brakes when I'm doing the front end, but don't know if I'm ready to do all of that at once...this is a weekend project for "marriage counselling" and not a break-the-bank rebuild....so I'm planning for the future here.

My big question right now is this: Are the steering knuckles/spindles on a factory disc-equipped 'Lark the same as those installed on a factory drum-equipped car? And if not, could the factory drum brakes/hubs be fitted to the spindles/knuckles from a disc unit until such time as I do the full upgrade?

Looking forward to hearing y'all's thoughts...

Are the steering knuckles/spindles on a factory disc-equipped 'Lark the same as those installed on a factory drum-equipped car? And if not, could the factory drum brakes/hubs be fitted to the spindles/knuckles from a disc unit until such time as I do the full upgrade?

No to both questions. A factory disc brake car has the caliper mounting brackets made as an integral part of the spindle. Because of this difference, a disc brake spindle has no provision for installing a drum brake backing plate on it.

In case you didn't already know, most aftermarket disc brake conversion kits do not give you new spindles. Instead, they supply separate caliper mounting brackets (a non-stock part) which are bolted onto the original spindles after the backing plates are removed. There is nothing wrong with this arrangement from the braking standpoint. It counts against you only if you are doing a show-quality resto for points.

Ray

Last edited:
It counts against you only if you are doing a show-quality resto for points.

Ray

Thanks for the insight -- I haven't had a chance to look at one of the aftermarket kits up close and personal yet, so that's good to know.

As far as shows and points, the only shows I'll be taking her to are of the parking-lot gathering variety, and the only points I'm worried about are on my driver's license LOL

With that knowledge, I imagine I'll just go ahead and do the suspension work now, and tackle the disc conversion down the road...dunno if I'll cobble stuff together at the boneyard or go with a kit just yet. The biggest concern I have with a kit is the possibility of being tied to a vendor for pads in the future...

The biggest concern I have with a kit is the possibility of being tied to a vendor for pads in the future...

This shouldn't be a problem with most kits because they use calipers and other parts which were supplied as factory equipment on fairly common car makes and models. You can find the pads for these calipers at any parts store. A few of the pricier high-performance kits use aftermarket-only calipers and rotors that were never OE on anything. The pads and caliper rebuilding kits for these might be considered captive parts.

The least expensive kits give you only the non-stock parts like the caliper brackets, bearings and bearing spacers, if required. These kits come with a shopping list for the stock parts like rotors, calipers, hoses, master cylinder, proportioning valve, etc. The idea here is that you can shop around for the best prices if you have the time.

In any case, it is probably a good idea to ask the kit vendor about replacements for normal wear parts before you lay down your money.

Ray

Back