Custom cam for 263

pmuller9

Aluminum Head for 263

Have one person restoring a 1933 Victoria 2 door and another doing a 1952 Woody Super. Both have decided to stay with the straight 8 rather than going the V8 route.
For show purposes it was decided to use a 263 with a cylinder head that still maintains the resemblance of the straight 8 (all ports on the driver side with spark plugs on the other)with symmetrical port design and a 45 degree intake port angle. It will fit a stock block using the stock push rod location and stock valve cover and have velocity stacks with electronic fuel injection. The head design is almost complete. Attached are pictures of a one cylinder model and a drawing of a complete head.
The area that I need help in is a source for the camshaft with the intake and exhaust lobes swapped on every other cylinder.

Attachments

• MockHead4.jpg
    MockHead4.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 17
  • MockHead7.jpg
    MockHead7.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Buick Cylinder Head2.jpg
    Buick Cylinder Head2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
several years back I had to wait over 4 months for comp cams to get a blank for a engine as popular as the early chryslar hemi. Think how hard it will be get a str. eight blank. Wonder it we could get a chinese company to make some.

I don,t know why any blank would be hard to make. couldnt it be made out of a steel billet? And also could some roller lifters be obtained?

Last edited:
A blank can be turned from 8620 alloy on a lathe. The problem is the distributor drive gear. After talking to a dozen cam manufactures including Comp the story was the same. They order their blanks with the drive gear already machined. There are only a few blank suppliers (the main one is out of Brazil) and will not do a “one off”.
The two customers for this 263 project want the distributor operating in place to maintain stock appearance. We are doing an external oil pump externally filtering all the oil before it enters the block so it would be easy to do a distributorless system. We are drilling the lifter galley to supply oil directly to the roller lifters.

Back