dynoflow shifting issues

56_Buick

i've got a 1956 buick 322/dynoflow

The trans works fine if you manually shift it. If you leave it in D it will try to take off in 2nd gear. I also noticed a bad leak since I parked it last which seems to be coming from the high accumolator.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be ? hopin I don't need a rebuild.

oh yah, 52k miles on the car.

thanks,

I think your Dynaflow is acting just as it should. As McGuire implied, the dynaflow doesn't actually change gears. It just flows pretty much from nothing to infinity. If it is REALLY sluggish and the engine races when starting off then you may have low fluid level or more serious problem.

do you have a 55 Shop Manual.

regarding the leak, Professor Nailhead has a great article on Dynaflow leaks here

http://www.1954buick.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1269006295

Are you sure it's a Dynaflow? They don't have gears...

uh better be :jeez:

gear selector shows P N D L R

maybe what I'm feeling is it being "really sluggish" I almost have to floor it in D to make it move, Makes me feel like I'm going to burn it up. SO i've been shifting from L to D after I get it moving.

Fluid level is ok, Just topped it off and tried it again, Same result

There is a drive range, but it is a fluid driven transmission. The only gears are for low range. A Dynaflow is really a big fluid pump. It never shifts unless you put it into low, and it is really sluggish off the line in Drive range.

dynaflow leaks

Any leaks around the high accumulater gasket will cause poor shifting and when you floor your foot the trans will not change into low-yep I know I just had my gasket on the accumulater fixed and other leaks and now it works fine,it also states this in the 57 Buick shop manual and yours will be the same.:hurray:

Back